Chapter 4

Tanushree stands up and comes to the front she says, "My Lord, the case is very simple yet defence is making it complicated. Yes, Sidharth Dewan has no living blood relatives with whom a DNA test can be conducted to confirm. But the people who have been with him for years know him very well. Still the court requires proof and witnesses. So I would like to present my next witness."

Judge nods his head and she continues, "My Lord, my next witness is the doctor who attended the injured Sidharth in the district hospital of Champawan, Dr. Shehnaaz Brar."

"Dr. Shehnaaz Brar, do you know this man sitting there?"
Tanushree asks pointing her finger at Sidharth.
Shehnaaz nods her head," Yes."
"Can you please elaborate when did you see him the first time and where?"
"Around three years back, a few people from the Champagaon village brought him to the district hospital. He was injured and in a very critical condition. He had a head injury, his two ribs had fractured and his femur too had a fracture. We operated on him and kept him there for observation."

"Dr.Shehnaaz, what happened then?"
"We had no idea who he was as he was unconscious. The villagers said that they had found him in the stream behind their village. So we informed the police who took all the details. Four days later, another man from the village, Gajendra Kumar came and claimed that the patient was his lost son. Another three days later, he woke up and couldn't recall anything of his past. He was kept in the hospital for another two weeks and then discharged. Gajendra kaka then took him home."

Tanushree nods his head, "What do you think could have been the reason for his condition?"
"There was severe trauma to his head and chest that usually happens from a fall from a good height. Maybe he had slipped from some mountain."
"Could you say, it would have been a trekking accident?"
"Most probably. From his clothes, he appeared to be a mountaineer."

Tanushree nods and then asks, "Dr. Shehnaaz, you have a lot of experience with people, as you meet several of them in a day. Can you look at this man sitting there and tell me that he is a fraud? What is your opinion? Is he really Ratan Kumar or Sidharth Dewan?"
Shehnaaz gazes at Sidharth sitting beside Saivi. There is a sad smile on his face as their eyes meet.
She smiles and turns towards the judge, "I don't think he is lying. I know he is Sidharth Dewan "
"How are you so sure?"
"I know it. I had seen it in him."

Shehnaaz gets down from the ambassador car to go to the Sub-district hospital in Kisru, a few kilometers from Champangaon. She visits here every twice or thrice a week. She stays back at the Champagaon village in a separate quarter at the Sarpanch, Laha Singh's house.
A few kids come running towards her with a grin on their faces and she distributes chocolates. As they leave, she goes inside and starts looking at the patients.

While she checks a child's fever, a face peeps from the window. She tries to see but the person hides. She turns back to the parents, prescribing medicines. And the same thing continues for another 15 minutes. She stands up and goes outside. There's no one. She walks towards the end of the building. There standing leaning to the wall is a tall guy.

Shehnaaz touches his shoulder and he gets startled. He stares at her and she could see confusion in those cloudy eyes. He has a handsome face covered behind a thick beard, messy and dry hair and bruises. There is a scar on his forehead that is yet to heal completely. He wears a light green shirt untucked over brown pants, an old yellow sweater with a pattern made in red and a pair of old slippers.

"Ratan? Kya hua? You want to say something? Chip kyun rahe ho?"
"Doctor madam, woh mujhe maar dega."
"Kaun?"
Ratan looks around and points at the mountains.
Shehnaaz smiles, "No one will do anything. I am here na. Have you come alone? How?"
"I walked. I couldn't find it. It was not there. So I walked."
Shehnaaz confused asks, "What? What didn't you find?"
"My Mercedes. It must be here..right?"