12, bitter

all in one - jordan poole

ZAHARIA FELT BAD.

She felt bad that over the past few days, she had been completely blowing off Jordan in every way. 

Making up plans to ignore his calls, canceling their weekly hangouts, and giving him dry responses in their text thread, she did everything in her power to avoid Jordan.

Why? Before you assume, it wasn't out of pettiness, out of envy, it was for the sake of herself. Zia simply could not associate herself with Jordan without feeling a pit in her stomach. This feeling was like, a feeling of despair and bitterness, to herself. Not comforting and loving one that he radiated, the opposite of their feeling.

Because of this, she was feeling empty. You know that plan Zia had that she wouldn't let any boy ruin her mental heath, self-esteem, her career? It all went to absolute shit.

After that dinner, her and Karla went home and cried. Yeah, both of them. Karla was the type of friend that felt everything you were feeling. They both cuddled up on Zia's bed and sobbed together. Zia's face was still sorta puffy from the crying.

So, Zia laid in her bed, moping as she and Zato ate a fiesta size bag of Barbeque lays. They watched Criminal Minds and obsessed over Spencer Reid. Zip played in her sock basket, clawing at the balled up socks.

Zion entered the front door, his keys dangling from his lanyard as he walked to Zaharia's bedroom and flopped on her bed. "Please come outside Zia. You've been curled up in bed for the past 2 days. He wasn't even worth it." Zion scoffed as he smoothed Zato's coat.

Zaharia rolled her sly brown eyes, staring out the window that overlooked the city. "He was worth it. He's my best friend- Zion I don't even know what I feel for him but I love his ass. And now he has a fucking girlfriend."

"Z? I thought you didn't believe at love at first sight.."

Zia have an embarrassed chuckle, swiping her bottom lip. "It wasn't love at first sight. We were teammates, then friends, then best friends. I didn't want to admit my little crush on him because of my job. Now Coach Kerr wants to talk to me about my distracted gameplay."

She fiddled with the hem of her shirt, her eyes brimmed with tears that slowly dripped down her face and the salty liquid reached her upper lip.

"Zia come on. Don't let this dumb nigga mess your hooping up. Shit you better than me!" Zion exclaimed. "I know that, it's just I don't know. Every time I see him or Shaia I literally wanna sob, throw up, slide down a wall, bang my head against the floor. And when I see her so happy I want to shove a fucking machete down her throat!-"

Zion placed his palm over his older sister's mouth, shushing her quietly. "You're losing it Z. You wanna go to the beach? Skip rocks, have a picnic? I just needa get you out of this bed."

Zia contemplated, thinking strongly. She really just wanted to stay here with Zato and mope in bed like the oblivious loser she was, but she knew that Zion hated seeing her like this, all sad and whatnot. "Sure. Order some pizza and chips. I'll get the blankets and pillows give me 30 minutes and dress warm."

Within those words leaving her mouth, Zia got out of bed and got in the shower, thinking deeply about the situation. That's where she thought best.

She let the burning hot water stream down her back as she wiggled her toes. 

The worst part about this situation was that there was no reason for Zia to hate Shaia. She was pretty, kind, considerate, respectful, hooped, natural. She was perfect.

Not for him though.

Zia was perfect for Jordan.

Or that's what she thought.

"I missed this," Zia mumbled as she opened the box of pizza as the bay peacefully washed up the shore

"I missed this," Zia mumbled as she opened the box of pizza as the bay peacefully washed up the shore. This is something they used to do. They would get a large comforter and lay it on the sand, they would get extra pillows and blankets and get comfortable.

Zato and Zip would also tag along, as they did tonight. They would eat the food they brought and watch the nightfall and sometimes the sunrise.

"I know, see! Isn't it fun?"

"Yeah, yeah it is."

Zion shuffled through his Spotify playlist, finding the one that read "Z&Zi."

"So, how are you and Nai going?" Zia asked her little brother who rubbed his hands against his black champion sweats. She wanted to get her mind off things. "Uh, good. She's doing good. Z, i like her, like really like her. She has the same values as me, trusts me. I think i love her."

Zia's heart dropped and a true, heartfelt smile formed on her face. Her little brother was in love. She was glad that he thought she had found one.

Zia hadn't been in love with anyone since 8th grade. Cleo Matthews.

Cleo was a tall white girl with green eyes and curly hair. She was quiet, but hilarious in front of Zaharia. She played volleyball and had a horribly infectious smile. She loved hugs, physical touch, cuddling. Cleo and Zia were best friends, maybe more than that.

Zia never knew who she was, romantically, spiritually, you name it, she didn't know. All she knew was that she hooped, she went by that.

Zia didn't know if she liked girls or not. She thought she did, but nobody had the effect on her as Cleo did.

Cleo moved at the beginning of sophomore year, and it hurt.

"Well, I like her. Zi, she's worth it."

Zion beamed at his older sister before taking a bite of the pepperoni pizza. Zia grabbed a slice of pizza before picking off 2 pieces of meat for Zip and Zato, who cuddled up onto the fuzzy blankets below their feet.

If they were having a really bad day, they would sleep on the beach and let nature take them over. So Zia laid back, and let the noise of the water flood her ears.