Thirty-Two

Leah

"Excuse me?" I was completely stunned by his statement. I am more than sure that my dad was never his friend.

At least I hope.

"You seem shocked." The scary man said. His lips set in a dark grin.

"If you were my father's friend I think I remember you being around at least." I told him as I pulled my jacket closer to my body. The wind was picking up making the area around us colder.

The man pulled a cigarette out of his suit pocket and placed it between his lips. "I guess you can say." He pauses taking out a gold lighter, on the back of it was an engraved rose. He flicked it open allowing a flame to rise. He lit the cigarette, took a pull and let it out. "That work keeps me busy."

"How do you know my father?" I questioned him.

"James and I go way back to when he was in high school."

James.

He knew my father's name. But that didn't mean much to me.

"He was very intelligent and creative. He always had a knack for art."

How?

My dad loved art, hence the uptake of photography.

"It's just a shame that he never fulfilled his dream of seeing a piece of his displayed."

Only a few people knew that was one of my dad's dream. He never really shared it. He felt like it was too much of a stretch, he knew it was near to impossible for it to happen.

Even though the man was a few feet away from me, the tension in the air was so thick I'm sure anyone could feeling it miles away.

Finally building some courage I asked him. "Who are you?"

"Dominic DeLuca." He said swiftly as he took another pull of his cigarette. "I thought I should introduce myself since we'll be seeing each other often."

"Why would we be seeing each other? I don't think we associate with the same group."

He let out an icy chuckle. " One would think that. You've been running around with the wrong crowd." He said vaguely.

What?

I haven't been around anyone dangerous.

What is this guy talking about?

"Jace Emerson. Does that ring a bell?"

I frozen.

What the hell?

How does he know Jace?

Something doesn't seem right.

"If you keep hanging around him, trust me, you'll be seeing me more often then you like." He said tossing the cigarette on the ground and crushing it with his shoe.

"What does that mean? How do you know Jace? What do you want?" The questions left my lips before I could stop them.

Dominic smirked and turned to open his car door. "I think those are questions meant for Jace."