Chapter 12

Lauren sat on the other side of the car, not bothering to be near the dark-haired woman who was still ignoring her since dinner last night.

Camila had woken up early, gone for a run, and taken a shower before she could even get out of bed. Yet when they crossed paths as Lauren was coming out of the bathroom, not a word was exchanged between them.

But she could care less. She was getting paid to be a fake girlfriend. Not somebody who wants to be on Camila Cabello's good side. While she found their conversations entertaining and a good way to brighten up her gloomy days, she was never an asskisser. And she wasn't starting now.

"If you get too uncomfortable with how much I'm touching you, just tap my leg and I'll stop,"

There was nothing that confused Lauren more than how respectful Camila was of her. Regardless of her snarky attitude and cold demeanor at odd times, she never once did anything that made the professor uncomfortable. Maybe she was a bit wrong for calling Camila all those things.

Because, in reality, she's the complete opposite. Or maybe... Maybe Camila's just putting on this act to deceive her. Hell, she has no problem doing it to her own father. Who's to say she isn't playing some sick game now?"

"Okay," Lauren murmured. "Thank you,"

When the car comes to a halt outside of a quiet-looking diner, Camila climbed out first and holds her hand out for Lauren to take. "Showtime, princess,"

Glaring at her, Lauren doesn't say anything back, not wanting to argue just moments before meeting her mother. She spots a middle-aged woman dressed in a well-tailored pantsuit typing away on her phone.

"Mom," Camila greets her with a forced smile. "How long have you been waiting?"

Sinu looked up from her phone, putting it back into her purse as she looks at Lauren, completely ignoring her daughter. "My, oh, my... Those paparazzi pictures don't do you any justice, sweetheart." Sinu turned to look at Camila. "I haven't been waiting long dear, sit down,"

Lauren finds herself across from Sinu and to the right of Camila, an anxious look etched onto her face. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Cabello,"

"No need to be so formal, you can call me Sinu. Any woman that's able to deal with this smartass has my heart already."

"You do realize I'm right here and can hear everything you're saying, right?" Camila picked up the menu.

"Of course, that's the fun of it," Sinu slightly reached over to pinch one of her daughter's cheeks. "I've ordered you a hot chocolate already, sweetheart,"

Lauren looked up from the menu, slightly enamored with how good of a relationship she seemed to of had with her mother. "I think I'm craving hot chocolate too,"

"I'll have to give you my recipe one of these days so you can make it for Camila. Mrs. Wilson tinkered with it to perfection. She's always been a big fan of hot chocolate since she was a kid."

"Camila mentioned that you love to cook. Do you usually stick to Cuban cuisine?" Lauren leaned forward on her elbows.

"Oh, I love to cook any and everything. It's my favorite thing to do now that I have all this time on my hands." Sinu beckoned for the waitress to come over and take their orders. "Are you ready to order, Camila? You two can start, I just have to run to the ladies' room real quick." She excused herself from the table.

"An eggs benedict sounds good," Camila handed the menu over to the waitress who was blatantly ogling her. "And she'll have an order of french toast," the dark-haired woman passed along Lauren's menu.