Chapter 29

Things between Gryffindor and Slytherin had never been tenser before. A week before the first quidditch math of the season, arguments were a common sight between the lion and the serpent.

Valerie, however, took no part in any of these arguments. She'd occupied herself with trying to figure out exactly what Dumbledore's Army was, and who was a part of it.

So far, she only knew Hermione was a member, and that automatically signed up Harry, Ron and the other three Weasleys. She knew for a fact that there were definitely more people involved; it seemed pointless for Hermione to go through the entire process of making a communication device if all the members were in Gryffindor...

She'd also had another meeting with her father the previous night; he was trying to convince her to kill Dumbledore, but a task like that would only cause more suspicion on her side, and needed the proper amount of plotting.

She also reminded him that he was supposed to be lying low if he wanted the prophecy; one wrong move and they could lose it. Not to mention the fact that her throne would then be put in danger...

In the end, he just told her to keep her eyes open for anything, but she knew the truth behind that command—

He just wanted to remind her he was in a higher position than hers.

Valerie was also spending a larger amount of time with Draco, who never seemed to leave her side. He was a little bit moody at times, but he was a worthy companion; at least he didn't annoy her entirely- he was tolerable.

She would also sit for long periods of solitude by the Black Lake, missing classes, but still coming out at the top of the class by the end of the day. After all, she knew magic far beyond the thoughts of many.

She would also avoid Harry at all cost, her brand hadn't stopped prickling since their last interaction, and she couldn't risk transforming again. She'd also noticed Harry spending a lot more time with Cho Chang, and found it hilarious how embarrassed he'd get while in her presence.

Oh, Potter's got a crush on Deadric's ex-girlfriend... This should be interesting..

Of course, it wasn't any of her business, but she did enjoy a good drama every now and then, and one starring The Boy Who Lived was a bonus.

Aside from that, Valerie found her hatred for Cornelius Fudge and his cult of Ministry Officials increasing. They somehow figured out Sirius Black was hiding in London, but his exact whereabouts were unknown. 

Valerie knew for a fact he was in his mother's old house, Number Twelve Grimmauld Place.

Additionally, The Daily Prophet had also featured a small article about Sturgis Podmore, who'd been sentenced to Azkaban for six months for trying to get through a locked door, which seemed to be a harsh punishment for a crime so small.

But Valerie knew the Ministry was in denial. Sturgis Podmore had been imperiused by Lucius Malfoy to steal the prophecy and had been caught in the act.

Of course, Valerie was disappointed her father was immensely impatient in acquiring the prophecy, but she had to admire his ambition. While most people would stop trying, he continuously found different ways to hoodwink the Ministry Officials into carrying out his bidding.