Chapter 24

"Go on, Ron. I ignored one from my gran once. It was horrible." Neville sounded traumatized about his howler. Ron shakily opened it,letting it fall to the table. It turned in a pair of lips and started to speak.

" Ronald Weasley! How dare you steal that car! I am absolutely disgusted! Your father's now facing an inquiry at work... ... and it's entirely your fault! If you put another toe out of line... ... we'll bring you straight home! And, Ginny, dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud." Ron nods repeatedly,and I stifle a laugh.

°°°°°°°°
Hermione had forced me to sit in the front with her to be nearer to Gilderoy Lockhart. Our defense against the dark arts teacher. She seems to have a crush on him.

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." Gilderoy walked down the stairs, proudly.

"Me. Gilderoy Lockhart... ...Order of Merlin, Third Class..." That's the lowest class. "...honorary member of the Dark Force Defense League... ...and five times winner... ...of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award. But I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at him.", He flashes his smile. He might not have had any competition to be able to win.

" Now, be warned. It is my job to arm you... ...against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind. You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. I must ask you not to scream. It might provoke them." He basically yells as he lifts a cloth off of a cage.

"Cornish pixies?" I hear Seamus laugh from the back of the class.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies. Laugh if you will, Mr. Finnegan... ...but pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them.", He opens the cage letting all of the pixies out.

" Come on now, round them up. They're only pixies." Pixies were torturing everybody in class,making most of them bolt for the door,leaving only the five of us.

"You just stay there!" Harry tells me as 2 pixies are pulling my hair. "Get off me! Stop." I yell.
" Hold still!" Harry takes a book and wack them off of me.

Gilderoy lifts his want into the air.

"Peskipiksi Pesternomi!" but before the spell could work a pixie grabs his wand out of his hand.

" I'll ask you three to just nip the rest of them back into their cage." He's a coward. He runs towards his door locking it behind him.

" What do we do now?" Ron fights off a few Pixies.

" Immobulus!" Hermione jumps from the ground making all Pixies freeze in the air.

" Why is it always me?" Poor Neville was hanging from the chandelier.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Hermione,Ron and I are sitting outside trying to study,trying because Ron wouldn't stop talking about how stupid Gilderoy is. I agree.

I see Harry walking down the Corridor nearing the outside where we are sitting on a bench under a tree. He's wearing his Quidditch outfit, accompanied by the rest of the team: Oliver Wood, Fred, George, Angelina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet, and Katie Bell.

Oliver is talking to his team when I see him glancing to his left, the rest of the team follows his gaze. They all step out into the courtyard. I see the Slytherin Quidditch team approaching them, also dressed for Quidditch.

" Where do you think you're going, Flint?" Wood was clearly irritated.

" Quidditch practice."

"I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today."

" Easy, Wood. I've got a note." Marcus Flint hands Wood a rolled up scroll.

"Ron,look", I nudge Ron to draw his attention to the team.

" Uh-oh. I smell trouble." We all get up and walk towards the two teams

Wood was reading the parchment, ' I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker." Wood looks up from the parchment.
" You've got a new Seeker, who?"
Marcus steps aside, and Draco steps out towards the Gryffindor team members,he looks at me and smirks. Harry notices and looks at me,making eye contact. I nod at him making him bring his attention back to Draco.

"Malfoy?" Harry was amazed that Draco was even on the team.

"That's right. And that's not all that's new this year." Draco puts his broom at his side; I look down at their brooms they are holding.

"Those are Nimbus 2001s. How did you get those?"

"A gift from Draco's father." Marcus confessed.

"You see, Weasley, unlike some, my father can afford the best."

" At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent." Hermione smirked.

Draco glares at her in annoyance as he takes a few steps and stops only at arms length in front of her. I instinctively step infront of her.

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood" He makes eye contact with me,"and you,you blood-traitor."

Hermione glares at him with a mixture of hate and hurt as Draco sneers.

" You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" Ron takes out his wand and aims it at Draco. " Eat slugs!"
Unfortunately, Ron's spell backfires, blasting him off backwards and onto the ground. Harry and Hermione immediately rush to his. I'm left still standing infront of Draco, glaring at him.

" You okay, Ron? Say something!" I hear Hermione say,which makes me turn and walk towards them,when Draco grabs me by my arm making me turn around. "You should rethink your life choices,Ella"

I yank my arm out of his grasp running towards Ron.

Ron opens his mouth as if to say something, but instead he spits out a slug.

Colin Creevey starts taking pictures of Ron. " Wow! Can you turn him around, Harry?"

"No, Colin! Get out of the way." he and Hermione help Ron to his feet. " Let's take him to Hagrid." I suggested.

Ron regurgitates another slug. "He'll know what to do." I ended.

The four of us rush off to Hagrid's while the Slytherins laugh at us. I turn around one last time, Draco was still staring at me.

°°°°°°°°

We sit in a circle in Hagrid's hut. Hagrid walks up to Ron with a bucket. "Nothing we can do,except wait till it stops I'm afraid," I look over at Hermione who was tearful. What Draco said was bothering her. "Who did Ron try to curse anyway?" "Malfoy" I answered Hagrid.

"He called Hermione a...I don't really know what it means," Harry explained.

Hermione stood up out of the chair she was sitting in and walked towards the window,I think she was trying to conceal her tears.

" He called me a...a..." Hermione started but its seemed that even she couldn't get the filthy words out.

"Mudblood..." I answered for my best friend.

Hagrid gasped,"No he didn't!" "I don't understand why is that bad?" Harry probed.

Hermione turns around to look at Harry,making her tears obvious,"It means 'dirty blood'. Mudbloods is a very foul name for someone who's muggle-born. Someone with non-magic parents. Someone like me. It's not a term typically used in civilized conversations."

I turn to Harry,"See, the thing is, Harry, there are some wizards, like the Malfoy family... who think they're better than everyone else because they're pure-blood."

"That's horrible." He replied to me.

"It's disgusting." Ron chimed in.

"And it's codswallop to boot. Dirty blood. Why, there isn't a wizard alive today that's not half-blood or less. More to the point, they've yet to think of a spell that our Hermione can't do. Come here. Don't you think on it, Hermione. Don't you think on it for one minute." Hagrid takes Hermione hand in his as he tells her this making her smile a little bit.