thirty-four

Jay lied down on his bed as he stared at the ceiling. His hands were clasped together and his mind was filled with thoughts about the kiss he had with Daera earlier. His cheeks formed a warm shade of red and he turned around to bury his face into the pillow.

The moment after the kiss was awkward that they both decided to go into their rooms. He looked to his right side and felt the bed empty. He missed sleeping next to her even though it was the first time.

Can I go to her room? Would it be awkward?

He got up and jumped around, trying to get rid of the warm feeling rising in his body. He did jumping jacks and even push-ups but they still couldn't get rid of the embarrassment that was rising inside him.

"What is he doing right now?" Daera asked herself as she turned over to the other side of her bed. She kicked the blanket off and screamed into her pillow, remembering the kiss.

I want to kiss him again.

Wait. What?

"I can't believe I'm thinking about this," she sighed and closed her eyes to sleep but failed.

"He must be asleep right now."

She checked her phone and it was already past midnight. She still couldn't sleep. She got up and opened the door slowly, peeking at the outside.

She fanned herself with her hand as she headed to the kitchen and gasped in shock when she saw Jay drinking water silently. It was dark and he would look like a ghost if she was night blinded and couldn't see him.

"You scared me," she breathed out. He turned around and waited for her to turn on the lights. "Can't sleep?" He asked.

"I was craving for something sweet."

Your kiss.

"Do you have ice cream?" She asked, getting rid of her thoughts. He opened the freezer and took out a tub of mint chocolate ice cream. She frowned, "I don't quite like the flavour. I only eat it because it's the only ice cream flavour Edlyn buys."

He chuckled softly, "I thought you like it. That's why I bought it. It's okay, I hate it also," he said before taking out a tub of pistachio flavoured ice cream.

She took a small spoon before wolfing down the dessert, savouring the sweet taste on her tongue. He watched her and laughed softly, "You really are hungry."

For your kiss–what the hell is wrong with me?

She closed her eyes and tried to brush the thoughts away.

"Are you okay? Is it because of the brain freeze?" He felt worried seeing her closing her eyes. She shook her head no and looked away, "Nothing. It's just me."

He nodded and cleared his throat. The air became awkward again and none of them started a conversation.

"Is your bedroom okay?" He suddenly asked. She nodded, "Yeah. It's...warm."

"Are you okay sleeping alone?"

"Yeah," she avoided his eye contact.

Can you sleep next to me?

She cursed at herself for thinking something irrational again.

"Can I kiss you?" They both asked in unison out of the blue. She gasped in shock and he backed away from her, eyes widened.

"I–umm–I'm actually not hungry and I was forcing myself to eat this thing all along and now I feel sick," she said and put the tub down.

He patted her back gently to ease her stomach. His mind was still crowded with the thoughts of both of them wanting to kiss. He smiled to himself but frowned when he remembered Daera was feeling sick from the amount of ice cream she ate.

He went to the counter to pour her some warm water. She smiled to herself and when he turned around, she stole a kiss before running away, giggling.

He blushed and smiled as he touched his lips. He put the glass down and chased after her, "Yah!"

She ran to the living room and stood behind the couch, avoiding being caught by him. He gripped her wrist and pulled her towards him. They both fell onto the couch and cuddled each other.

"Yah, the couch is too small!" She whined, still giggling. He tightened his embrace and closed his eyes, "Shh. Go to sleep."

She pecked his nose and buried her face into his chest, "Good night."

He smiled widely and kissed her head before resting his chin on it, "Good night, love."