Chapter 77 - Rita Skeeter

Above: Sirius searching for Harry outside Hogsmeade. 

Stay fabulous, stay disoriented.

__________________________________________________________________________

"SHUT UP POTTER! WE'RE NOT CALLING ME SNUFFLES!"

__________________________________________________________________________

One of the most beneficial things about the aftermath of the Second Task was that everybody was very keen to hear details of what had happened down in the lake, which meant that Ron was getting to share Harry's limelight for once.

Betelgeuse had the slightest idea that Ron's version of events changed subtly with every retelling. At first, he gave what seemed to be the truth; it tallied with Hermione's story, anyway — Dumbledore had put all the hostages into a bewitched sleep in Professor McGonagall's office, first assuring them that they would be quite safe, and would awake when they were back above the water.

One week later, however, Ron was telling a thrilling tale of kidnap in which he struggled single-handedly against fifty heavily armed merpeople who had to beat him into submission before tying him up.

"But I had my wand hidden up my sleeve," he assured Padma Patil, who seemed to be a lot keener on Ron now that he was getting so much attention and was making a point of talking to him every time they passed in the corridors.

"Are you sure it was your sleeve, Ronniekins?" Fred asked him waspishly, earning a painful jinx from Betelgeuse. Ron's ears went red, and thereafter, he reverted to the bewitched sleep version of events.

As they entered March, the weather became drier, but cruel winds skinned their hands and faces every time they went out onto the grounds. There were delays in the post because the owls kept being blown off course.

Betelgeuse frowned as she eyed her now nearly frozen to death beautiful Eagle Owl, Castor. She stroked its chilled feathers, murmuring sweet nothing to the orange-eyed owl.

"Cannot believe you dote on that humungous beast more than on me," Fred grumbled beside the Black as she tore off Sirius' letter. Fred tried to pet the owl, nearly losing a finger. "Blast!" He hollered, cradling his hand. "Dangerous like his mistress!"

"Whiny like her cousin," George commented, giving his older twin a smirk.

Betelgeuse shook her head, attempting to block the twins' bickering and read Sirius' hilarious cryptic letter.

I'll be at stile at end of road out of Hogsmeade (past Dervish and Banges) at two o'clock on Saturday afternoon with Harry. Need to talk to him in private. I miss Hogwarts' food. I'm going to make him bring me as much food as he can.

Brilliant, I know.

The old crow is giving me grey hairs; my poor luscious hair!

Post Scriptum

Don't tell him I called him that, yeah?

Love

S.O.B.