Chapter 9.1. Bewildering Desire

Her heart was beating furiously as she entered her bedroom. How still it seemed. The door to the dressing closet was shut, as she had left it. Had he managed to sneak away? How much easier it would be all around if he had. Charlotte had not known a moment's peace since she'd found him. A future that involved him did not promise much tranquility either.

She opened the closet door. His muscular frame was slumped in the corner, one arm draped around her trunk. She was surprised at the reaction of relief that swept over her. His eyes, bright with fever, scrutinized her for several moments.

"Good morning, again," he said calmly, inclining his head. Are you ready to shave me?"

"Strangle you is more like it," Charlotte said in indignation. How could he sit there ordering her about and sounding so collected when she had been worrying herself sick over welfare? "You are the most troublesome person I have ever met."

A glitter of appreciation lightened his gaze for a moment. "A trait I suspect we share."

"And will undoubtedly pay for," Charlotte said unwrapping her napkin. "Here. Eat these while I look at that shoulder. There's a bottle of brandy in my reticule, too. Add pinching my uncle's possessions to my lost of crimes."

"Why do you want to look at my shoulder?"

"I have some horse medicine, you ungrateful, suspicious man," Charlotte said in a very quiet voice. "I stole it from the stable, and no one knows a thing. What do you have to say about that?"

He laid his head back rather meekly, his firm mouth curving into a beguiling smile as she unbuttoned his shirt. "I don't know. If I tossed my mane and gave a few good whinnies, would that qualify as an apology?"

He could not stay in her company much longer.

Neither of them had slept much last night. Benedic could see the shadows of fatigue on her pretty, angry face. He knew how often she had checked on him, even though he had pretended to be sleep. What a devilish time to learn that he could still feel such bewildering desire and even tenderness, that he was deeply sorry he dragged her into his personal hell. Each time she had leaned over him a gnawing hunger had taken hold of him, and it was all he could do not to pull her down onto the floor.

Her body would feel plush against his fevered skin. He could surrender to the erotic images that had haunted his broken dreams.

He could also ruin everything, for both of them, by succumbing to such temptation. It was not only sex he craved. He enjoyed her caring and cleverness but not the weakness she brought out in him.

"Horse liniment," he mused. "I should be thankful that you are resourceful, I suppose."

"You should be thankful you are not truly dead." She paused, her gaze lifting to his. "You must go, Strathmere."

"I know that."

There were muffled footsteps from the hall outside the outer door. Charlotte quickly pressed the glass bottle into his hand. "Drink this. My uncle is taking us to a play in the rectory tonight. The servants usually retire us to a play in the rectory tonight. The servants usually retire to the housekeeper's parlor for cards when they are alone—"

His piercing gaze caught her off guard. She stopped, flustered, as he said, "Should we be fortunate enough to meet again, Lady Charlotte, I trust it shall be under circumstances that enable us to finish what we started."

"I—I have no idea what you mean."

Ah, but she did. He could tell by the disconcerted pause she took, the way her fingers stilled on his shoulder. She had enjoyed the sensual aspects of their encounter as much as he. "I mean this," he said.

He took her chin between his fingers and leaned forward to kiss her. He heard the small sigh that escaped her and felt her body arch forward involuntarily. She was primed for the taking, alive and simmering with passion. And he wanted her so badly, it was probably for the best that he could not have her. The more involved he became with Charlotte Brumidge, the less control he was liable to have over his own life. She could take over a man's heart without even trying.

He buried his face in her warm neck and brushed his hand down her back. "Stay out of the woods, Charlotte. It might seem hard to believe, but there are men who are even worse for you than I am."

*A/N: Please be my patron in Patre*n and read chapters in advance. My other works are also available there. Or if you just want to support me. Please look for creator Zetar086.
Love lots ♥️