Things That Are Left Unsaid

Riftan had not spoken to Maxi since she made her decision to study magic at the World Tower and become a full-fledged wizard. He was prepared to give up his title as Lord of Anatol and as Captain of the Remdragon Knights just to run away with her. But Maxi preferred to spend at least 3 years apart from Riftan and their married life.

To Riftan's mind, he's had enough. He had already spent the same amount of time hunting the dragon Sektor at Lexos mountains. It was difficult to be away from her, but he hardly knew her then. He was also in the company of men who were sacrificing far from their families. Today, with the Monster War of Livadon firmly behind them, Riftan felt certain that he would not be able to withstand being alone for another three damn years while everybody resumed their lives. To him, Maxi was no longer just a dream coming true; she was the person whom he cherished the most with his entire being.

Riftan felt betrayed by Maxi's choice. He only reacted how any man would, if they saw their wife violently beaten. He simply gave back a fraction of that cruelty. But after days of fiercely defending her during the King's mediation, Maxi ended up diminishing Riftan's position as her husband and protector in front of her despicable father instead. It was as if she had turned all his efforts upside down, as her father continued to verbally humiliate Maxi while Riftan looked on.

Riftan was also disappointed with the King. He no longer cared about losing Anatol if it was all taken back as punishment. Riftan scoffed at the reduction of the Duke's dowry since it was hardly an equal compromise for thrashing Maxi with a whip. And if he was going to be treated unfairly like this, despite begrudgingly withdrawing first from a formal declaration of war, then part of him no longer wanted to give his loyalty to the House of Reuben. Riftan would gladly unburden himself with his responsibilities to Whedon, and start again elsewhere for as long he and Maxi were together.

Riftan was confident in his abilities that he could take revenge on the Duke on his own time, while acquiring new land elsewhere, and restoring the riches he would have lost. He would not have to start from nothing, unlike before. He had a respectable amount of wealth from his days as a mercenary, and some more that he had kept hidden. He also had some very loyal knights whom he had considered as brothers, who would follow him to the ends of the earth. That was the plan that Riftan was going to rely on if the political winds did not land in his favor. But he did not foresee that Maxi would stand in his way. Her personal decision done behind his back became more intolerable as the days wore on.

***

Riftan avoided Maxi at all costs. A fragile impasse could be felt in the castle, where the gossip had widely spread that the Lord of Anatol had reluctantly given the Lady permission to go to the World Tower, but that he had stopped talking to her as a result.

Riftan was in his office, burying himself in work, when someone from the kitchen brought his dinner. He did not even look up when Rudis spoke.

"My Lord...um...I'm sorry to interrupt," she said as she brought the tray of food to his desk, "But perhaps you would like to spend time with Lady Calypse before she leaves in a few days? She has... um...not been eating as much and I sometimes find her wiping tears in her eyes as she plays with the cats---"

"If you are telling me this because you are worried about your position, you do not have to be," Riftan cut Rudis off without looking up at her, "Your wages will be kept the same and I will ask Rodrigo to assign you another post."