thirty-five

Daera woke up to the smell of a delicious breakfast. She stretched herself and went to the kitchen, seeing Jay's broad back cooking something on the stove.

Should I hug him? Can I? Will he be okay?

She smiled and sneaked up behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist. He flinched in surprise and was about to hit her with the spatula, "You scared me!"

"I'm sorry! I just thought it would be romantic if I hug you," she pouted. He frowned, "It's supposed to be a surprise. I thought you're gonna wake up in an hour."

"I'm sorry," she apologised again. He smiled softly and ruffled her hair before turning around, "Take a seat. Breakfast will be done in a few minutes."

She took a seat at the kitchen island and checked her phone, eyes widened when she saw the time on the screen.

"You're gonna be late for work! It's already past 9!"

He chuckled, "I decided to take a day off today. Let's go on a date. A picnic, maybe? And I already had our night date planned. So we'll go shopping for your dress later."

"You don't have to do that. I can go find a dress by myself. You must have something to do."

"Daera, if I'm working and you need something, I will drop everything just to help you. You own me. I'm yours."

She blushed and looked away, "Stop, don't say that. Your work is important."

He served the food on the kitchen island and she looked at it in awe. Although it was just a simple breakfast, the effort that Jay put in made her heart flutter.

A thought crossed her mind, "About the culprit who attacked me and almost killed me the other night."

"I heard he was arrested."

"Someone hired him. Yeona. The man said Yeona hired him to kill me."

He widened his eyes, "What? I can't believe she did that! You don't even have anything to do with Sunghoon."

"She likes Sunghoon and she's the reason why his ex-girlfriends were killed. Why?"

"Jealousy? I don't know. I'm calling the police to arrest her right away," he said sternly. She held his hand, "No! Eventually, she'll confess her crimes by herself. Then, we'll arrest her."

"How are you so sure?"

"She must be furious about her plan of killing me failed. She will attack me herself and by then, we'll catch her."

Jay waited at the front door, checking his expensive watch continuously. He was waiting for Daera nervously since it was their first time going on a picnic as a date. He had a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

His black trousers were matched with his black leather shoes. He held his sunglasses tightly and tried to loosen his collar, still nervous.

She went downstairs and walked towards him, holding the picnic basket. She was wearing a floral dress and matched it with a white floral-designed headband. He blushed and cleared his throat, "You look...stunning."

She smiled and watched as he took the basket and intertwined his free hand with hers.

They both walked along the park, seeing people jogging together and children playing and giggling. Daera linked her arm with Jay's and rested her head on it, "The weather is very bright today."

They both found the perfect spot to put their mat and arranged the food on it. She secretly took his picture while he was making sure all the food was there.

He sensed the camera flashing and smiled, "It'll last longer. Take more."

"You'll make my phone storage full," she rolled her eyes and sat next to him, facing the Han River.

"Then, I'll buy you a new one."

She glared at him, "Jay, no. I'm not dating you for money."

He gave her a rolled kimbap that he made earlier in the morning and unwrapped it for her. She bit into it and smiled at him, resting her head on his shoulder.

"I can't believe you confessed first," he teased. She sighed and sat up straight, "Shut up."

"You confessed first," he teased again. She frowned and looked away, biting the food aggressively.

Jake held Edlyn's hand as he carried Jiah with his free hand. They both walked along the park until Edlyn clenched his hand tightly.

"What? What?!" He winced in pain. "Isn't that Jay and Daera?!" She whisper-yelled. She pulled him to go closer towards her brother, pulling him to hide behind a big tree.

"Are they dating?! That's quick!" Edlyn said in surprise. Jiah smirked, "I told Aunty Daera to confess to Uncle Jay."

Edlyn gave a death stare, "Jiah, I told you not to eavesdrop on an adult conversation. Jake, scold her."

Jake smirked and first-bumped his daughter, "Good job, sweetheart. I'll buy you ice cream later."

She smacked her husband's back, "It's bad for her teeth. I'll talk with both of you. Especially you, young lady."

Jiah pouted and averted her eyes to her uncle that was talking to his girlfriend. Jake smirked, "You know we shouldn't have the 'talk' right? Look where it led to?"

He said and pointed at her baby bump. She rolled her eyes, "Why can't you be serious for once."