Chapter 23 - Aquarius

Two Days Later...

Hagakure: "I got so embarrassed, everybody was looking at me so intently!"

Kiri: "Me too!"

Sero: "I got consoled with 'Nice try' calls by frickin' elementary school kids!"

Kiri: "We became the centre of attention in just one day!"

Denki: "Dude, UA really is amazing."

Mr Aizawa: "Morning."

Tsu: "Mr Aizawa, I'm happy you were able to remove your bandages, ribbit!"

Mr Aizawa: "The old lady got overdramatic with her treatment. But let's put that aside. Today's Hero Informatics period is a little special. It's time to formulate your codenames. Your hero names."

The class erupted into cheers.

Y/T: 'This is it! The moment we've all been waiting for!'

Mr Aizawa: "This is related to the draft nominations by Pros I mentioned the other day. The nominations will only truly start to matter after you've gained more experience. After your adaptable fighting ability is judged during your sophomore and senior years... In other words, the nominations you're getting this year are more akin to expressions of 'interest' in your future potential. And it's not rare that interest dries up by graduation."

Hagakure: "So I guess the nominations we received are like personal hurdles, then!"

Mr Aizawa: "Yes. Now the tally of nominations is as follows. Typically the results are more balanced. But this year, all of the attention seemed to lean towards two of you."

He pulls up a graph with names of the entire class, and their total number of nominations. Todoroki's draft number was nearing five-thousand while Bakugo had a little more than three-thousand.

Denki: "Damn, it's so clear... it's practically black and white!"

Aoyama: "Non, non. Those pros have no discerning eye."

Kiri: "Though, the number one and number two spots are totally reversed!"

Sero: "Heh, seeing Bakugo all straight-jacketed on the winners stand must have scared 'em off!"

Bakugo: "Fuck off!"

Y/T: 'Hmm... I only have one hundred pros asking for me... it's better than nothing...'

Mr Aizawa: "Based on this... regardless of whether or not you received any nominations, I'll be having you all go get some so-called 'workplace experience'. Well... you've all dipped a toe in the world of pros, unfortunately. But I think experiencing the activities of pros firsthand will prove to be more fruitful training than before."

Sato: "And cause of all that, we need hero names!"

Ochako: "This is so fun!"

Mr Aizawa: "Of course, placeholder names are fine too, but make it something appropriate."

Midnight: "The names you pick now will be seen by the whole world. So choose carefully!"

Midnight came through the classroom door with a big smile on her face.

Mr Aizawa: "Well, she is correct. I'll be having Midnight evaluate your naming sense. The way your futures end up will approach the image projected by names you choose. It's all down to that old phrase, 'names and natures often agree'."

Fifteen Minutes Later...

Midnight: "All right, it's almost time. Who's ready to present their names to the class?!"

Aoyama walks up to the front of the class and reveals his board.

Aoyama: "The name of the sparking hero! 'I Can Not Stop Twinkling'!!"

Y/T: 'That's a whole sentence...'

Midnight: "If you take out the 'I' and abbreviate it to just 'can't' it'll be easier to say."

Y/T: 'She's seriously allowing that...?'

Mina: "I'm next! Call me... 'Alien Queen'!"

Midnight: "You're aiming for the image of that super-acidic blood thing?! Quit while you're ahead!!!"

Tsu: "Is it alright if I go next?"

Midnight: "Yes, of course!"

Tsu: "I've known since elementary school what name I'd be. 'Froppy'!"

Midnight: "Wonderful! It's got a nice, friendly feel!!"

Kiri: "I've got mine too! The sturdy hero! 'Red Riot'!"

Midnight: "Interesting! You're paying homage to the chivalrous hero, Crimson Riot?"

Kiri: "That's right! He may be kind of old school, but someday, I want to be just like he was! Crimson is my idol!"

Midnight: "Hmm... if you're bearing the name of someone you admire, you have that much more to live up to."

Kiri: "I accept the challenge!"

A few more people show off their new hero names. Finally, it's your turn.

Y/N: "U-uhm... My hero name is...... 'Aquarius'! The water bearer!"

Midnight: "That sounds beautiful! It really suits you and your quirk."

You grinned. With that, the class ended.

Mr Aizawa: "Your field training will be one weeklong. Those with nominations will receive a personalized list. Pick one. Those who didn't, please take this list of forty participating workplaces from across the country and choose one. Turn them in by the end of the week."

Y/T: 'So only two days...?'

Later...

Tsu: "So you already chose an internship, ribbit?"

Y/N: "Yeah, he has a similar water quirk. So I thought I might get some insight on different ways to use my quirk!"

Momo: "A very wise idea! Where is the internship located?"

Y/N: "Hosu city!"

Momo: "O-oh... you should be careful..."

Y/N: "Huh? What do you mean?"

Tsu: "Didn't you hear? That's where the Hero Killer was last active, ribbit..."

Y/N: "The Hero Killer? Who's that?"

Momo: "You don't know? He's a villain that's been killing off or viciously maiming pros recently."

Y/N: "Woah... I had no idea... I'll be sure to be careful then..."

Tsu: "Good!"