Chapter 15: Finally Free (1)

——

Well, I faced some problems after flying away. Some guards who secretly watch me all day noticed me flying away into the sky. Even though I returned pretty soon, Mom got mad. I tried explaining to her that I was just testing my quirk - but that didn’t help much.

Anyway, I managed to change the subject by telling her the changes in my Quirk, causing her to consult Kishimoto’s wife (the doctor who revealed Nejire’s quirk) and she confirmed nothing was wrong with me and it’s quite normal for quirks to evolve and earn more abilities once the user gets older.

Apparently, it's called “Quirk Growth”.

My parents were a little surprised after hearing that this growth mostly occurs to Hero Course students after they start going to a Hero School. They again assumed I was a natural-born talent and hugged me tightly.

Though a certain someone was overly excited seeing the ‘growth’ of my Quirk...

“Neji~ aren’t you sho cute~” I was laying on my back with Nejire sitting on top of me, her hands on my cheeks as she rubbed them with a cheeky smile on her face. She really likes this position, huh. “To think your Quirk would start growing before mine, to think my Otouto was such a genius!”

“I know, I know. I am a man of sheer talent. You don’t need to remind me about it every day.” I added with a smug look on my face. Though this caused her expression to change.

Instead of rubbing my cheeks softly, she pinched them hard, “You know,” she said with her eyes narrowed as she gave me a death stare. “I was being sarcastic.”

Ah yes… Of course, I knew that. In what universe would your older sibling not be jealous when you outshine them? Not this one. Though I can proudly say the reason of my sister’s jealousy is kinda cute and wholesome.

“You should have waited until I grew my quirk too! Now we aren’t a match anymore!” She puffed out her cheeks. “You have betrayed your Onee-chan’s trust! How can you be so selfish?!”

Heh… I laughed softly. I love her so much. She is extremely lighthearted. Her jealousy is cute too since she barely cares about it. “Your quirk will grow too, 'Onee-sama'. Just keep training.”

I could see my words affecting her as she hid a smile. Seeing that I put my hands on the side of her stomach and tickled her. She maintained an indifferent face before bursting in a fit of giggling and laughter. “You cheat!” she fell beside me as we rolled in the bed.

"S- stop! I can't breathe! Hahaha!"

Anyway, I didn't lie about her experiencing the "Quirk Growth" soon. I have said it before, in the game Hero’s Rising, Nejire could release ring-like shockwaves too, and while the game isn’t canon, I also remember she made a flower out of the energy she releases in the School Festival in the 4th season. So she clearly experienced this 'growth' in the original timeline.

Though if I recall right, it was stated that the Big Three weren’t always the strongest, and they even ranked averagely in the 2nd year Sports Festival. So I can only assume she 'grew' her quirk after the School Festival.

Welp, I wouldn't mind helping her grow her quirk before that. I just hope the timeline doesn't become too fucked up.

I looked at the clock. It was evening, Mom would be back soon and watch her usual K-dramas. Then... time for a small family talk.