05 | A Bad Dream

Monday
October 2nd

"I think I had a bad dream," Lattie says after wandering into the kitchen, still in her starry pajamas.

"What of?" I ask, stirring the gingerbread creamer into her mug of coffee. I'd heard her feet hit the floor as soon as she'd gotten out of bed three minutes ago.

"Well I can't remember it very well." She climbs up on a stool at the breakfast bar, rubbing her tired eyes. "But I think there was a wolf attacking something. I don't think I saw it, but I remember hearing the sounds they make on National Geographic. Like the—" She curls her lips back and attempts to imitate a wolf snarling. She ends up accidentally drooling down her chin when she attempts a biting motion, and I can't hold in my laughter. Some of it is due to her ridiculous imitation, some out of nervousness at the fact that she wouldn't last half a night in the woods.

She laughs, too, wiping her spit away. "I don't know. It was really vague."

Still grappling with my smile, I carry the mug of coffee over and place it in front of her. Her hands wrap around it like two greedy snakes. "Ooo, thank you! Did you have any dreams?"

"Um..." I lean my elbows on the opposite side of the breakfast bar. I can't tell her I didn't sleep, or that I was too busy looking out for peeping toms to close my eyes. She'd never feel safe again. "I don't think so. I don't remember any."

She frowns, taking a sip. "That sucks."

"Yeah," I agree absently, shifting my weight anxiously.

The sun hasn't yet risen. If I were to check the clock, it would likely read something near 5:00 AM. The McNamaras' café opens at 6:00, so Lattie's awakening is right on time.

I haven't gone outside yet. I was waiting for both Lattie and Nanni to be up and cognate before even considering unlocking a door. I only need to step outside before they do, before their scents can mingle with any others that might be there.

"Is Nanni still sleeping?" I ask Lattie.

"No. She was dressing when I came down." She takes another sip contently, her nose concealed within the mug.

"I better help her down the stairs then." I push off of the bar and start toward the living room. I don't make it there before Lattie sits up and spins around on her stool.

"Hey, why did she use your bedroom? Is something wrong with hers?"

I bite my tongue to catch the lie. Yes! The heating wasn't working and I figured since heat rises... I've never felt pressured to lie to Lattie before, but now the urge is suddenly coming as an instinct.

"No. No, I just thought it might be safer considering... current events."

Lattie's face falls and in the end I wish I did lie.

"Oh. Yeah." She turns back to her coffee, no doubt with the memory of her dead friend swirling in her head.

Maybe today won't be better than yesterday.

I start toward the stairs again, but stop short when something catches my attention out of the corner of my eye. On the window near the front door, two large, oily handprints are clung to the glass. I hurry over to draw the curtains before continuing my trot up the stairs.

~

"Leila, dear," Nanni begins as she's pinning a bejeweled, autumn leaf brooch to her white blouse, "What did you get up to last night? I heard the awfullest ruckus down there. It sounded like a badger got into the kitchen again."