A Month To Live (3)

I made sure I packed my meds in my bag the next day; I didn't want to cause a scene by running out of the cafeteria like yesterday. Only problem was that I was running low. I was supposed to go to the doctor's every two weeks to restock my meds but... it had been nearly two weeks since I'd seen him and I only had enough for the next few days. Maybe a week tops.

It would be really embarrassing if, after my grand exit from home, I had to actually go back a couple of days later because I forgot to restock my medication.

Maybe it was pointless to even get any more. All they did was block the headaches out. Perhaps I should only take them if I started to feel any pain. They may last longer that way. Some days went by without any sign of pain before I took the medication. I guess I could still have days like that now.

I managed to get to school a few minutes before the bell. I parked near the gate again - I think this was becoming a habit - and decided to kill the next ten minutes with an agonising phone call to my parents; I didn't want them thinking I'd been kidnapped or something. But to be honest what kidnapper packs bags for their hostage? I laughed out loud at this as I pulled my cell out of my pocket, shaking my head at myself still.

'When people laugh to themselves, that isn't helping to prove their sanity,' a snide voice said from behind me.  

'Go flirt with a grandma, Bradley. I'm not trying to prove my sanity to anyone,' I replied, dialling my home number. As it rang, I saw Remi join Bradley and she hit him over the head and muttered something to him which he just shrugged off carelessly.

'Hello?' a hoarse voice said from the other side of the phone. I felt myself freeze and my throat constricted. Yeah, I had no idea what I even wanted to say.  

Shit.

'Uh hello,' I said in a somewhat Irish accent, trying to backtrack. Wow. I'm stupid. I couldn't even do an Irish accent. My Scottish was rather good, though.

'Who is it?' my mom asked on the phone.

Luckily we had one of those ancient house phones with no caller ID. I heard her let out a sigh and I did the only thing that I possibly could in a situation like this. 

I shoved the phone into Bradley's hands and he stared between me and the phone with wide eyes.

'Er... hello?' he said into the phone automatically.

'WHO IS THIS?' my mother screamed from the other side of the phone, making him nearly drop it. Yeah she got pretty annoyed when people didn't answer her questions. Maybe I should have mentioned that to Bradley.

Nah.

'Er...' Bradley said, staring at me with wide eyes as he struggled to come up with an explanation.

'Morgan Freeman?' I suggested with a shrug.

'It's uh,' he looked at me doubtfully 'Morgan Freeman.' 

As soon as he said that, we heard the dialling tone on the other side and I let my laughter out. I guess it was kind of messed up to be laughing in this situation but it was either that or cry. I should have thought about what I wanted to say to her. And the school parking lot wasn't exactly an ideal place.

'What the hell?' Bradley said, staring at the phone.

'I chickened out when I called my mom,' I said, laughing nervously and running my hand over the back of my neck.

'Morgan Freeman?' asked Remi curiously.

'She doesn't like how he pretends to be God in those movies,' I explained with a grin.