Chapter 13

"Who's Lucy?"

Camila halted in her tracks, the grip she had on the dress in her hand tightening. "Who told you about her?"

"Nobody," Lauren murmured. "I was just curious,"

"Well, somebody obviously did if you're asking about her," Camila shoved the dress in her hands. "Go try it on,"

"Okay, bossy," she shut the door to the dressing room and began stripping herself bare. "Are you going to tell me?"

"Since when did you care about other women in my life?"

"I don't!" Lauren stepped into the dress, pulling it over her body. "I just think it'd be important for me to keep an eye out for any exes,"

"Pretty sure you should be worried about your own ex," Camila responded dryly. "Are you going to tell me how you know her name?"

The raven-haired woman struggled to zip up the back of the dress, huffing when she opened the door and Camila was standing on the other side—dazed brown eyes watching her every movement.

"Beautiful," was all she was able to say. "I think this may be the one,"

"I need help zipping it up," Lauren turned so that her back was facing the dark-haired woman. "Do you mind?"

Calloused fingers gently traced the tattoo on her spine. "What does this say?"

"I am that I am," Lauren glanced up to catch Camila staring at her through the mirror. "That I am alive because I am alive. Breathing in the oxygen from the trees around me and perfectly made for this perfect planet in the middle of eternity. One with all that is because I am."

Lauren let out a quiet gasp when she feels gentle lips press against the tattoo, lingering for longer than she had anticipated. "Camila,"

"It's a cute tattoo," Camila complimented. "Wonder if anyone else has ever done that," she zipped up the dress.

"No, actually,"

"Why do I feel like you're lying to stroke my ego?" Camila planted her hands firmly on Lauren's hips.

"I don't need to do that when it's already the size of the fucking sun," Lauren rolled her eyes. "Do you really like this one?"

Camila hummed. "Yes, I like white on you. Makes your eyes pop even more."

"Okay," Lauren easily agreed. "Are you going to keep your hands there... Or?"

"Would it be a problem if I did?"

"Camila,"

Smirking, she retracted her hands and stepped out of the fitting room so that the professor could do her business. "I'll let them know we're taking this one,"

When the raven-haired woman emerges from the back with the dress in hand, the lady at the register gingerly takes it out of Lauren's hands and folds it neatly before placing it into a small bag.

"Here you are, Miss Cabello," the cashier batted her eyelashes flirtatiously.

"Let's go, Camz," Lauren glared at her, interlocking their hands together and pulling her out of the store.

"Camz? How long have you been thinking of that nickname?" Camila said smugly, sensing the jealousy that was radiating off of Lauren's body.

"Long enough," Lauren waited for Camila to unlock her car. "Who's Lucy?"

"Do you really want to know that bad?"

The professor nodded. "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't care. You seemed really upset after your mom insulted your taste in women, so... I'm guessing she's one of the girls your mom was talking about."