iv. | hey we're rangers now i guess

Disclaimer; I don't own Supernatural. It's Eric Kripke's!

Wendigo; Part One
__________

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." -Winston Churchill

THE ROAD TO COLORADO WAS A long one, and Emery found her pleasure in the little things. Like looking at the scenery around her, watching Sam squirm from his nightmare (which made the girl want to wake him up), singing along with Dean's cassette tapes, and most importantly, bugging the shit out of Dean.

She was flicking his ear, his face contorted in anger and annoyance, when Sam jolted awake. Emery almost shrieked, because he sat up so fast that his shoulder bumped her arm.

Dean's face went from anger to concern in about a half a second as he looked over to his little brother.

Sam did some things to wake himself up, like blinking, then pinching the bridge of his nose. In the backseat, Emery was now fishtail braiding her brunette hair, the greasiness bugging the girl. She needed a shower desperately.

"Are you okay?" Dean asked, looking between Sam and the road. Emery only knew that because she saw in the rearview mirror his eyes dart from one thing to another.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Sam responded.

Emery didn't believe him. The girl guessed it was something to do with Jess, his dead girlfriend. I guess, ex now.

"Another nightmare?" Dean questioned, turning to look at the shaggy haired boy.

Sam cleared his throat, obviously done with this conversation.

Please don't start a fight. Please don't start a fight. Please don't start a fight. Emery crossed her fingers, listening intently with her eyes closed.

"You wanna drive for a while?" Dean's deep voice made Emery's eyes open wider than usual.

Dean never let Emery drive. Unless he was really injured and couldn't.

Sam scoffed, looking at Dean like he was crazy. "Dean, your whole life, you've never once asked me that."

"Just thought you might want to, never mind," Dean said in defence.

"Can I drive?" Emery chimed in. Dean sent her a look through the rearview mirror, clearing stating no.

"Look, man," Sam paused, gathering his thoughts. Emery thought it was more so to make it dramatic, but that was just her. "You're worried about me, and I get it, thank you, but I'm perfectly okay."

Lies, a voice chimed in Emery's head.

Dean made a hum of acknowledgement. He obviously didn't believe Sam either.

Emery watched as Sam grabbed the map, obviously curious on where they were.

"Alright," Sam spoke, "where are we?"

"We are just outside Grand Junction!" Emery answered for Dean, her head popping between the two boys. She then pointed it out on the map for Sam.

Sam took a deep breath through his nose, before stating, "you know what, maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon."

"Sam, we dug around for a week and came up with nothing," Dean replied, eyes glued to the road. "If you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica-"

"We gotta find Dad first," Emery visibly cringed at Sam's mention of John.

It was quite obvious that they were talking about the demon (which bothered Emery to no end how she knew it was a yellow eyed demon), and Emery was still feeling guilty about knowing and not telling the brothers.