竹子 (Bamboo): 四

"You seem to be in a bad mood," Lisong commented upon seeing Ruomei's dark look. The plum blossom fairy strode through Feng Ge's garden and plopped down across from the Immortal at the table in his pavilion.

"There are demons in the Mortal Realm," Ruomei grumbled.

Lisong sipped his tea. "I wasn't aware that was forbidden."

Ruomei scowled down at the table and rubbed at a scratch in the wood. "They're ruining everything."

A brow raised in reply. "Oh?"

"It's true! They caused the fruit-seller to lose all his produce and the street-children all ran off with it!"

"Hmm." Lisong set down his cup. "And was there anything good that came out of this situation?"

Ruomei thought a moment. "Well, I got to use those fighting techniques you've been teaching me. I nearly had the instigator pinned, until that Demon lord Zhulin showed up."

Both eyebrows rose this time. "Is that so?"

Ruomei sighed. "I think they're going to keep coming back. And I'm worried, because the fruit-seller's daughter is sick and the family doesn't have enough money to pay for a doctor. Isn't there something we can do?"

Lisong set his elbows on the table and interlocked his fingers. "You seem very fond of this mortal family."

"Well, they're very nice," Ruomei said. "Why wouldn't I be? If anyone deserves the justice and harmony that all the Immortals regard so highly, it should be them."

Lisong shook his head. "It's not that simple."

"What? Why not?" Ruomei crossed her arms. "Of course it is!"

"The best advice I can give you is to return to the Mortal Realm and learn for yourself," Lisong said gently. "That will be the best way for you to cultivate."

~*~

By the time Ruomei returned to the Mortal Realm, a few weeks had already passed – such was usually the case as the time there moved more quickly than in the other realms. Ruomei was relieved to find that the fruit-seller had been able to recover his losses and the grandfather had taken up his usual position at his seat on the corner, but the wife was missing, and Ruomei soon learned that it was because she was busy caring for their daughter, who was still sick.

"I'm so sorry to hear that," Ruomei told the merchant. "I hope she gets better soon. Have you not been able to call the doctor?"

The man shook his head. "I'm barely able to pay my debts as it is after the event in the marketplace a few weeks ago," he said with a sad smile. "We're doing our best."

Ruomei frowned at the man's response, watching as he turned and resumed his work. When the sound of a child's laughter reached her ears from down the street, Ruomei slowly turned towards the source.

"Are you off again?" the grandfather asked as she passed him.

Ruomei smiled. "I should be back soon."

She wasn't sure what exactly she could do now, weeks after the thefts had already taken place and the fruit doubtlessly eaten, but Ruomei was determined to at least confront the little scoundrels.

She schemed as she navigated the streets of the marketplace. Though she couldn't turn back time, she could make sure the children knew not to ever steal again.

There – one of the small, dirty children ran past, and Ruomei took a step forward to act.

Something grabbed her upper arm and pulled her to the side, spinning her around until her back landed none-too-softly against the wall of a building. The breath left Ruomei in a rush, and she struggled against the grip on her arm until it released.