Chapter Thirty

Aloura slipped through the apartment door, discarding her bag and coat onto the hangers before walking deeper into the home. The smell of cooking had hit her as soon as she entered the door. She smiled; I could get used to this. "Aloura?" Elias called from the kitchen.

She pulled a fake face and skipped to where his voice sounded, her heart exploding at the sight of him cooking. Aloura laughed when he'd turned to face her, he had managed to somehow get more food onto his apron than on the dish. "Woah did you leave any to actually eat?" she joked, Elias laughed, throwing an apron in her face.

"I didn't tie mine, look" he grinned at her, turning around to show her in case she didn't believe him. "We gotta do each other's again."

Aloura's grin matched his as she slipped the apron hoop through her neck. She grabbed the strings attached on Elias' apron and paused for a moment, racking her brain for the steps she'd mastered this morning. She hooped the strings before knotting them together. She frowned a little at its abnormal look, but it was short lived as Elias cheered. "You actually remembered!" Elias encouraged, a proud smile tugging at his lips. The praise from Elias, although over something feeble, spilled into her body and made a home in her chest. She grinned up at him and turned around.

Elias held her strings and looped them, "How was the talk with your dad?" he asked the dreaded question. Aloura bit her lip, and her eyes found the floor. Elias knotted the loops and placed his hands on Aloura's hips, spinning her around. His hands remained on her hips, and he stared down at her with concerned eyes.

"I was right. He is the same Dr that got you in this mess" she told him; her heart heavy. "He took a loan and was forced to pay it back by preying on vulnerable people in the hospital." She watched as Elias' jaw clenched. "I'm sorry"

Elias shook his head and swallowed his tears, "it's not your fault" his voice strained but sincere. "Did he give you any information on how to get out this mess?" he handed Aloura the chopping board and freshly washed vegetables.

Aloura placed the pepper on the board, "no" the sound of the knife hitting the board echoed through the kitchen.

"No more secrets?" he whispered to her after a moment. Aloura stared up at him and smiled, her gaze fell to his hand as she pried it from his face. Elias frowned at her, "what're you doing?"

"it's a pinkie promise" Aloura laughed lightly.

I don't believe in promises. I don't believe in promises. Aloura lifted the knife and cut the pepper again, her mind lost in thought. I don't believe in promises. Cut. I don't believe in promises. You shouldn't have lied. You agreed to no more secrets. She thought to herself, she shook her head. No. I'm only trying to help.

"Aloura?" Elias pried the knife out her hands, his eyebrows knitted. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah sorry" Aloura muttered and wiped her hands down her apron, Elias watched her for a moment before nodding.

"Why don't you just sit and watch me cook tonight?"

♡ ♡ ♡

Elias placed a plate of lasagne in front of a grinning Aloura, before taking a seat across from her. He pulled his chair into the table and looked to meet Aloura's stare. "How is it?" he asks. Aloura places a forkful in her mouth, Elias watching her do so. She chewed slowly; her face neutral. "You're killing me" he laughed.

Aloura bit back her grin and pulled a funny face. "It's good" she wheezed out sarcasm dripping from her words and spilling on the table. Aloura almost felt bad when Elias pulled a heartbroken look, before looking down at his food. "Do you want me to make you something else?' he pulled his hair back, "there's not much left in the kitchen so it won't be much-"