Chapter Thirty Five

Four years later

Elias fisted the soil that covered his beloved and half his heart, his eyes tracing the engraved words on the slab of stone. Aloura Olea West.

He swallowed and looked away; her name was almost unbearable; a constant reminder that she was merely a memory now. "I'm sorry I don't come here often." He told her gently, blinking away the tears that filled his eyes. "For the longest time I couldn't even bare to hear your name."

"It reminded that I'd have to live with your memory for longer than I had you."

"I still wake up with things to tell you." He fisted the soil again and dropped it, not caring that it now filled his nails.

He smiles softly at the flowers Annie had probably placed earlier that day. "I didn't even know how to talk about you without feeling like I'd lost you all over again." He laughed like it was funny. "And I was scared to change because" he swallowed his tears, "I was scared to be someone you don't know." He wiped his tears with his sleeve and sniffled. "Because what if you don't love that version of me?"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to come here and depress you." He laughed, "I actually have something useful to say." He laughed again and lifted his arm to his head. "Aloura" He looked at the sky and back at the headstone, before grabbing his mortarboard cap and placing it on the soil. "Ask me if I went to college baby."

He paused, as if waiting for Aloura to ask. And after a moment he smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I went to college."

♡ ♡ ♡

"It's your graduation and you want to have a picnic here?" Kalian laughed; Elias laughed too because Kalian would never understand how this rooftop had saved him. "What's with your obsession with this place anyway?"

Elias looked at his little brother and smiled gently, "Its where Aloura is"

"The chick waiting for you in the stars?" Kalian laughed again, but Elias didn't take offence. He'd understand one day.

At the mention of the stars, Elias eyes look up to find the new star positioned next to the one Aloura had pointed out as her mother. He grins and the star glistens back.

"Yep" Elias smiles at her memory, "that's my girl."

The End