C h a p t e r 68

Content Warning: This chapter briefly mentions topics including sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and self harm.

Chapter 68 : Alec
Saturday, August 28th, 2021

I broke my promise, and I didn't feel a single ounce of regret for it.

I'd received a call about two hours ago from Kara saying something was off, and I was on our jet within the next twenty minutes. All three of us were.

My heart hasn't stopped racing since my phone rang—actually, it hasn't stopped since the second I watched Madelyn walk through security at the airport a week ago.

I wanted to respect her wishes which is why I exploited the loophole of having the twin's sent out instead to have her back if she needed it, but I've still been on edge for six days now despite that extra layer of protection.

On top of the fact Caleb, Xavier, and I haven't spoken since our discussion about Costa Rica, everything has been feeling off since the moment Mads left.

I've missed her so much it hurts, but I could only hope she won't be mad when she finds out we were here to take her home.

I know about the IDs and the fact she saw Marcus's name on one of them, but Kara and Imani made it seem as though it wasn't a revelation for her or anything. Madelyn didn't recognize the meaning behind that single name, nor the fact it was proof she was unknowingly a Caddel.

Though relief was the first thing I felt because it meant I could keep her with me for a little longer, it was like the world was giving us constant signs to tell her everything that threatens to break us apart.

I was still angry at Xavier for wanting to let her go, but I don't think I had it in me to be too mad. I've never heard my friend admit to loving anybody—not even his own mother, but he loves Madelyn with all of his heart.

I know he does, because I do too, and it's the only reason I can't let myself be selfish when it comes to her.

The twins were sent out because I knew they could guarantee her safety since we weren't there, but I don't think there was anything I could do to protect her beautiful heart from the chaos destined to ensue.

Madelyn doesn't need to get drunk to escape her mind, but she chose to over every other thing she could've done. I wasn't judging her in the least, however it was an observation on top of many others that told me she was slowly breaking too.

Her calls had become forced, and not a single one of us had received a goodnight text to tell us she was okay tonight.

Nothing was fine here, but if our girl was going to hurt, she would at the very least have our arms to wrap around her when she shatters.

Already off of the plane and well on our way to the address we knew she was at, it didn't take long to realize why Madelyn didn't want us to see this part of her life.