Chapter 75

Chapter 75

Pranee was glad that Ubol had agreed to their plans but there was still the feeling of unrest amongst the rest of the group.

The group had big their goodbyes to the palace but Reza didn't appear in person. Pranee could see Tanet was hurt but when he turned to face her, he tried to reassure her with a smile.

They stood on the dirt road outside the palace and had begun their walk towards Isla. The more they walked the thicker the foliage was and it was so dark that they could barely see the moon in the sky.

The isolation had really set in as Pranee observed the people around her. Anuman seemed to be talking to Tanet frantically, clearly distressed by the plan and Tanet had a hand firmly on the man's shoulders, trying to calm him down. Kiet and Shashi both were walking in silence but they seemed to have taken comfort in it while Pranee couldn't feel the same as she lagged behind them.

To Pranee's surprise, Ubol was walking next to her silently. Her staff was in her hand as her heavy footsteps tried to slow down to match Pranee's. After a few moments of silence, Ubol spoke.

"Are you sure you all trust me with this task?" It was hard to see her now that the sun had set but Pranee didn't need it to know that Ubol was uneasy.

Pranee looked towards her brother before looking back to the wizard. "I thought you were going to fly to Isla."

"I will in a bit. I just don't want all of you to think that I..." Her voice trailed off and her eyes strayed away from Pranee's.

"I... think I understand."

Ubol had stopped walking and Pranee copied, too confused to process what she had just done.

Ubol's face was partially covered by her hat. "I want to ask again if all of you trust me."

"I can't speak for the rest," Pranee said. "But I have faith in you."

A faint smile appeared on Ubol's face. "Thank you."

"Can I have a word with the princess, please?"

Shashi stood in front of the two women. The only movement was their hair being picked up by the breeze and Ubol took a step back.

"She's all yours. I should fly to Isla too." Her eyes shifted between Pranee and Shashi. "For the plan, of course."

Shashi let out a grunt of confirmation.

Ubol lifted her arm to the sky and rubbed her fingers together. Her staff appeared in her hand and with a swish on her arm she disappeared into the night.

Pranee was left with Shashi and they stood there a moment before turning their back towards her.

"We should keep walking. We don't want to be separated from the others," they mumbled.

"Shashi—"

"Just wait. I—" they took a shaky breath."—wanted to tell you something quickly. Since we're both going to war now."

Pranee stayed silent.

"We might both die in this. Maybe only one of us will survive."

Pranee's eyes drifted to the horizon but there was nothing that indicated the split between sky and land. Only darkness. "That's a very grim way of thinking."

"It's realistic. I can't just laugh away the pain anymore."

Pranee didn't question their word choice but she had a gut feeling she knew what they meant.

Shashi sighed. "I just wanted to ask if you actually did like me or if I was just some toy for you to play with."

"Toy? What—"

"You haven't talked to me about the last talk we had. Like you're scared."

Pranee staggered. "I thought you weren't talking to me."

"I was giving you time."

She felt herself shrink. "A lot happened."

"I agree." Instead of their usual stoic expression, it was scrunched up and they seemed to be holding back tears. "That's why I'm moving back to my mother's home if I survive this. Even if we win."

"What? But you'll get your tower back."

The gap between them began to widen as they walked further. Pranee tried to close the gap with every step but Shashi would step away.

"It's probably cursed with some spirit's hatred. It's been tragedy after tragedy." They tried to sound dismissive but there was only hurt. "I shouldn't have dreamed so big. Being a master wizard is impossible for someone like me. It'sbest I sell it and use the money to support my mother."

"Shashi don't say that—"

A strangled sound came from their throat before they spoke. "I've worked so hard and it hasn't been enough! I'm risking my life for this now and I don't know if it's worth it."

It was as if a spirit had appeared and stolen the life out of Shashi. A gap in the trees appeared and the moonlight shone on their face to reveal the dark circles under their eyes. They looked as if they had aged two years as the skin on their face sagged slightly.

"The tower should be worth a lot. Another wealthy aspiring wizard can buy it and I'll present it to my mother." Pranee didn't know whether the bitterness in their voice was direct to the situation itself or to themself. "She probably needs the money after working so hard for so many years."

"Are you sure?" Pranee whispered. "The tower and magic are so important to you."

They shook their head. "I wasn't made for it."

"Are you saying that because you believe it or because you've been made to believe it?"

They ignored it. "I went off-topic. Way off-topic."

"What did you actually want to talk about?"

"You don't have to decide anymore. You're a princess," they gulped. "There was probably no choice for you in the first place."

She blinked rapidly.

"I was being stupid. Thinking that you would choose me." They let out a dry laugh. "Look at the prince. He chose an emperor. Not some poor man."

"I'm not my brother."

"You say that, but why are you doing all this?" They stretched their neck upwards and their head searched the skies as if a sign would appear. "We could've run away together at this point already but we're both marching towards death."

"I have a duty to fulfill." Her voice was weak.

"And then what? You fulfill more duties until you become a shell of a person and eventually die?" Their eyes pierced into her mind and she looked away.

"I'm figuring it out."

"Good for you, but I need to fulfill the duties that I owe to myself."

She took a shaky breath. "Understood."

Shashi began to walk farther ahead and met with Kiet while Pranee was left alone again. Only her thoughts to keep her company for the rest of the journey.