Chapter 28

"Carson," the guy with the cloak commanded in a deep voice. "That's enough." When Carson ignored him and kept on advancing towards me, hatred in his eyes for no apparent reason, he said, "Remember whose order you're disobeying."

That made Carson stop in his tracks. He still was glaring at me angrily, but his eyes held wariness, as though he really wanted to ignore the cloaked figure, but didn't want to face the consequences.

"Fine," he grumbled, rolling his eyes like a teenager after their parents denied their request for something. 

Then he attempted to kick me. Before it could connect with my chest, however, I caught his foot and pushed him back, then promptly let go of his shoe.

Carson stumbled back, trying to regain his balance. He crashed into "Cloaky" who easily caught him. Then, he locked his arms around Carson's shoulders, caging him in. "Let me go, Dad!" Carson exclaimed while struggling to get free. "Let me injure the stupid and arrogant punk!"

Cloaky just sighed wearily, as though this happened every day. He looked at Chaos. "Do you want to go to a different room before filling Perseus in?" he asked in a casual tone, as though he was not restraining his son like a dog. "So my son doesn't knock himself unconscious trying to kill him?"

Carson stopped struggling for a moment, looking shocked, probably because his father was openly admitting that his son's abilities were not as good as Carson thought they were. Then he started struggling even more with a determined expression on his face, as though his plan was to beat me into pulp so his father would see his worth.

Chaos nodded. "Sure thing," he said. "Join us when you can, Omega." The he motioned me to follow him, and walked out of the door. The other primordials followed, while the soldiers made no movement to follow.

I waited until all the primordials filed out before moving to exit, partly because I had good manners, but mostly because I didn't want Nyx or Gaea behind me; I was still wary of them.

Before I could step foot outside, however, Carson called out to me. "I challenge you to a duel, Perseus," he snarled out, smiling triumphantly, as though I couldn't refuse.

I smirked at him. "It's the twenty-first century, kid. I don't have to agree." With that, I spun around on my heel and left, restraining a smile as I saw Carson's shocked face.

I couldn't stop the laugh the left my mouth when I heard Carson scream in frustration. I hurried to catch up with the primordials, who hadn't gone too far. "It was about time somebody chagrined the arrogant child," Gaea said as I was passing her. Despite my wariness of her intentions, I slowed down and walked with her, since it was rude to ignore somebody—even one's worst enemy—and she was being friendly enough.

"I couldn't help it," I said sheepishly. "I hate arrogant bastards. Has nobody ever taught him a lesson?"

Gaea smiled as I started conversing with her, pleased. "He doesn't act that way around us," she said, referring to the primordials. "My father is a different story all together. He acts like a little kid and doesn't really care what others say to him. But the moment a non-immortal comes along, Carson's tone changes to one an evil tyrant would use. Plus, they can't complain of his behavior, since, as you saw, he's the son of Omega, the commander of our army."

"The primordials have an army?!" I exclaimed, shocked.

"Sure thing. You're on Planet Chaos right now, which is the closest place we can call home, and it's basically one big kingdom we rule," Gaea said, sounding happy, as though it was her definition of a perfect life.

"You're not evil, right?" I asked. 

Gaea laughed. It was a big, bubbly laugh which echoed throughout the corridor, making the primordials near us look back in  amusement.  "Of course not! Why would I be talking to you if I was?" 

I blushed, feeling he tips of my ears burn in embarrassment. "Just wanted to make sure. Why did you attack the camps?"

"It was for a good cause," she responded cryptically. When I shot her a confused glance, she added, "The people I killed deserved to die and I was just doing what was good for the world."

A flash of guilt passed through me. "So I shouldn't have fought you?" I asked. "I'm sorry about that . . ."

"No no no," Gaea said hurriedly. "You misunderstood me. You were only doing what the prophecy asked you, which was correct. In a sense, we worked together on opposite sides. I needed to kill some demigods and scare the soul out of some gods, while you had to kill the giants."

"I think I understand now," I said, nodding. "Was the 'war' Chaos told me about just to spur me into action?"

"He was partly telling the truth. Instead of Nyx and Artemis, it's going to be . . ." she trailed off, changing her mind. "Actually, why don't we let Chaos explain it?" She gave me another smile.

We then arrived outside of our destination, which was—to no surprise—the throne room. Only, this time, since most of the primordials were already in there, it felt as though a nuclear power plant had released all of the energy it would make in its lifetime at once. 

How bad will it be when I'm in the room? I wondered to myself.

Gaea motioned for me to go ahead of her. I couldn't stall anymore, since everybody else was already inside.

So I stepped through the doorway.