04

"Come on, Shan! We're going to be late!" 

My mom's boyfriend knocked on my room to remind me to go down already. We were about to spend our summer vacation at the beach after my sixth grade graduation. I quickly got my bag and ran down the stairs to go to the car. Naghihintay na roon si Mommy. Malapit na exclusive resort lang sa Bataan ang pupuntahan namin kaya saglit lang din ang byahe. 

I was so excited. Matagal na kasi noong huli kong nakita ang dagat. We were planning to stay there for so long so the idea of waking up with the sound of the beach made me feel so happy. It would be one of the days where I could feel peace. 

I was just watching outside the window the whole ride. Pagkarating namin sa resort ay binuhat na ng boyfriend ni Mommy ang bag ko at tumakbo naman kaagad ako sa beach area habang nag-aasikaso sila sa lobby. 

I smiled a little to myself when I stopped running and looked at the waves. My feet were covered with sand already and the sun was hitting my face. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I felt the wind blowing my hair and my polo. It was a good feeling. 

"Good morning!" I looked at the girl beside me when she shouted so loud while facing the sea. It was like she was shouting it to the sky. She was wearing a beach dress and a cute hat. "Hello!" She turned to me when she noticed me looking at her. She was probably younger than me. 

"Hi," I said before looking away. Bakit niya ako kinakausap? I wasn't used to strangers talking to me. Ang laki-laki ng beach pero sa tabi ko pa talaga siya pumwesto. 

"Are you new here?!" she asked again, energetic. What a kid. 

I didn't answer and just looked back at my mom to see if they were already looking for me but I saw her talking to a familiar woman. I think I already saw that woman before, when I was younger. Well, she looked busy so I just started walking on the sand to take a look around. Surprisingly, the girl still followed me.

"Hello! Where are you going?!" She was smaller than me so she had a hard time trying to keep up with my footsteps. Hindi ko ulit siya sinagot at pinagpatuloy ang paglalakad. 

She was still trying to follow until I couldn't feel her behind me anymore. I stopped and looked back to see if she already left but I saw her sitting on the sand, trying to take off her sandals. "Wait for me!" she told me in a small voice. "Please?" 

I blinked twice when I heard her say 'please.' Ano ba 'to? Ang kulit naman. Hindi ko naman siya kilala. She should be scared of strangers. 

"I'm from Bataan too! It's my dad's province! We've been staying here for 3 days already! Ikaw po? Ilang taon ka na?" she asked while still trying to take off her sandals.

"Don't ask me," maikling sagot ko nang walang emosyon. Ngumuso siya at tumayo na, hawak-hawak sa kamay niya ang sandals. Pagkatapos ay naglakad na siya palapit sa akin at nginitian ako. 

"What's your name? I'm Ayi! That's my nickname here in Bataan! My dad's relatives call me that!" pagpapakilala niya sa akin.