Chapter 3

Madison walked a few blocks through the residential neighborhood surrounding the high school to her new house. Like most houses in Korea it was situated very closely to the houses on either side. But it had something Madison loved. There was a giant tree in the courtyard out front and it was right outside her bedroom window. Madison opened the gate to their courtyard which was only a half meter from the road and smiled at the giant tree. She walked across the pavers, through the courtyard to the front door.

Inside, Madison took off her shoes and put them on the shoe rack and slipped on her house slippers. Her mother heard her come in and came out of the kitchen to greet her. "Madison, sweetheart! How was your first day?" her mother said in English and gave Madison a hug. Madison's mother was American, which is why Madison didn't have a Korean name. Her mother spoke both Korean and English and had used both since Madison was born.

"I had a good day, Eomma." Madison answered in Korean. Madison's mom ushered her to the table where she had laid a snack of homemade Gimbap out for her. Madison munched happily on her snack while she told her mom about her day. "I met lots of new friends. We played volleyball in PE." Madison made a cringe face. Volleyball wasn't her favorite. "But my new friend, Minje told me we are starting a different PE unit tomorrow, so I'll be glad of that. I sat next to a boy named Jungkook in three of my classes today. He didn't have anyone sitting next to him."

"Oh, that was sweet of you honey. You always look out for someone who needs a friend." Her mom smiled at her.

"He didn't want me to sit next to him, but I think we will become friends. He helped me with my math a lot." Madison thought more about Jungkook as she told her mom about her day. She wondered why he liked to sit alone.

"Do you have much homework?" Her mother inquired.

"I need to finish some math and a Chemistry worksheet but not too much. I think I'll go play soccer for a bit first." Madison was excited that there was a playground across the street from her new house and it had a small soccer field. Soccer was Madison's sport, she planned to try out for the girls' soccer team in a few weeks. She wasn't sure how competitive the team was at this high school. She needed to meet some girls on the team to find out more about it. 

"Ok, but you need to finish unpacking also." Her mother warned.

"Oooookaaaaaaay Mooooooom." Madison said sarcastically. They both laughed. Madison had a great relationship with both of her parents. They had been through a lot together and she appreciated that her parents had always supported her.

Madison changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt and ran to the park with her soccer ball. It wasn't raining any more but the ground was still soft and wet. She practiced dribbling and making goals, feeling all the nervous energy leave her body as she worked hard. She could use someone to practice with.

Madison came in after practicing for almost an hour. Well, part of that time had been spent on the swings. She left her soccer ball by the front door with her soccer shoes and headed upstairs to her room. She looked out the big bay window in her room at her tree. It looked like it had large sturdy branches and she planned to try to climb it sometime. 

Madison had a bathroom attached to her room that also had a door to the guest room at the back of the house. Her parent's bedroom and bathroom were on the first floor. After showering and changing clothes, Madison decided to unpack a bit before working on her homework. 

The style of their home was a mixture of her parent's styles. Madison preferred a high bed instead of a floor bed and her room definitely had a Western style. She had been unpacking for a few days now, a little at a time, so everything was unpacked except her clothes now. She shoved those boxes into the walk-in closet to do later.