Chapter 49

"The upcoming challenge will require you to present a project," I explained to Leslie and Angela in a private drawing-room. I made sure to station my assistants outside the area so no werewolf that has better hearing than a human would eavesdrop on the conversation.

For now, I need to be active on the Selection while I'm trying to investigate the reason if I should take over the pack. Luckily, Kai agreed to let me use his intelligence network to get more information. He is currently working with my father.

Angela and Leslie sat on the sofa watching me while I was giving information.

"This challenge is very important because it can leave a lasting expression for the werewolves." Then Leslie raises her hand.

"I thought that complexity of the project is what matters and not the impression of people that determines the result?" Leslie hesitantly asked and Angela nodded in agreement.

I sighed. There are a lot of things for them to learn.

"As a future Queen, you must have a good reputation amongst the people that you will rule. That's why this challenge it's not about complexity." I stopped for a minute to catch my breath.

"It's a chance to show people that you are already a Queen that is ready to lead people. When people see one of you as their Queen then it's just a matter of time that you become one. " Then Angela interrupts me.

"You are telling us to win people's hearts first as soon as we can, so another contestant's even if they manage to become a Queen will have a harder time building a reputation?" Angela asked and I nodded. Then finally Leslie understood my plan.

"That can cause huge commotions if we lose a challenge," Leslie murmured as she unconsciously held her chin.

"Indeed." I smiled at them.

The plan that I created can be risky but the judges won't have a choice if the contestants they support are overshadowed by Leslie and Angela.

Then I take two envelopes for the table and hand them to Leslie and Angela.

"I have prepared topics for the projects that you should work on." Both Leslie and Angela open the envelope carefully.

"Establishing a department for managing disaster relief funds?" Leslie slowly read and then looked at me at the explanation.

"Recently, The North American continent has been stricken with various natural disasters. Not only do humans suffer through this but werewolves are also a victim of this and they tend to rely on the human government to receive the compensation." Then Leslie nodded at my explanation.

"And reforming the werewolf's judicial system?" Angela reads off her topic.

"We still use an old method which is banishing werewolves from the packs." Then I took a breath. Kai will approve this part of my plan. As far as I know, he withdrew his hunters from the continent and no one managed to catch one of his hunters. The only thing that is left is to adapt and create a new plan.

"Though my recommendation is not to focus on building more prisons, just focus on researching methods of rehabilitation," I suggested with a smile.

"Now If you don't have any questions for me you should go and prepare for the challenge. Oh! Don't forget to work on public speaking skills. Charisma will play an important role in the challenge." I said my last advice for today.

Luckily, they didn't have any questions. I was finally able to rest after I mentored Leslie and Angela.

I was about to ask my assistant to bring me a cup of tea. Since I'm pregnant I'm trying to drink only one cup of tea a day. Instead of bringing me the tea my assistant brought a reminder.

"Today is the meeting with the judges, your highness." My assistant Sally informed me. I looked away and tried not to frown.

I almost forgot about it. I wish I could just not attend the meeting but the competition started getting intense. If I won't attend the meeting I'm afraid that I could miss the important information. I wanted to know how confident the judges are. If they appear to be confident then they have something hidden under a card.

I look at the mirror one last time before heading to the meeting area.

This time there was a meal involved in the meeting as opposed to what we had last time in the meeting.

"I was worried that your food would go cold but luckily you have arrived." Margaret expressed her fake consideration. I also made the most polite expression and answered.

"Ah, it seems I was late." I feigned my surprise while I sat down at the table. I didn't take acting courses back in the Mediterranean Kingdom and was a member of the Drama Club for nothing.

Then I asked the waiter to bring me water instead of the wine they served.

"Now all of us were curious, was it your job that you did with the press?" Alpha Ryan, Margaret, and Kimberly looked at me to catch my reaction.

"I don't understand what you mean, Margaret." I calmly reply as I try the salad.

"Recently the public opinion wasn't favorable to Michelle, yet it was more favorable towards Leslie and Angela," Kimberly informed while she was trying to compose herself. She was suspicious of me.

"Public reaction seems to be natural since she was saved from elimination and when her sister is also a judge. You have to understand the people because they don't take lightly to the Selections that are rigged." Last part of the sentence both Margaret and Kimberly flinched.

"Let's not go there." Margaret awkwardly laughed as she was trying to divert the topic.

"Though I do have one question." Alpha Ryan voiced.

"As far as I know, you weren't exactly known as a traditionalist, Princess Evelyn. Why did you decide to support Angela whose family is known to be a strong right supporter?" Alpha Ryan questioned.

As I slowly chewed on a salad I contemplated if I should throw a fake reason card.

"Ah, I don't have any political reasons for that. She just looks very similar to Damien's soulmate." I replied innocently.

No one expected this answer from me. Alpha Ryan lost his words, Kimberly was in disbelief. Of course, the most shocked person in the room was Margaret.

"Can you elaborate more on that?" Margaret asked as soon she managed to compose herself. I still slowly chewed the salad, it's considered rude to talk while you have a portion of food in your mouth.

"A few years ago, Damien's soulmate rejected him. " As I started telling a fake story.

"I knew her, she has the same curly blonde hair." While my hair was also blonde but my hair was just naturally straight.

"Same blue eyes." I have brown eyes.

"As far as I know she is now married to the Alpha from the European pack and has children." I finished my fake story without a hitch.

It would make Margaret busier in trying to investigate the person I described as Damien's soulmate. That would make her stop paying attention to what I do behind the scenes.

"And you know this because?" Kimberly was now only half suspicious.

"Because Damien is my childhood friend of course," I replied with a smile.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Looks like once again I forgot to post a chapter for Delicate Bond. For those who waited patiently here it is!

I hope you enjoyed reading the crafty side of Evelyn ^_^