Lesson 33: Homecoming Can Be A Disaster

We entered McDonald's and I immediately glanced at the menu, looking to see the cheapest but best burger there. I walked up to the counter where there was a good-looking guy that looked our age.

"Hello there!" He greeted cheerily, grinning at me. "I'm Daniel, what would a pretty girl like you like to order?" He asked, winking at me. I blushed a bit and smiled shyly.

"Can I have the-" I started but was cut off by Joe coming behind me and introducing himself.

"I'm Joe, her date for Homecoming. I'd like a Chicken Legend with mayo and fries." He interrupted rudely. I gave him a look.

"Please."

I nodded, smiling at him. He pouted, and I nearly pinched his cheeks right there and then.

"Ahem." Daniel cleared his throat, and we both looked at him, embarrassed. Well, I was, Joe was just smirking at him.

Boys.

"What drink would you like with that?" Daniel asked.

"Coke, please." Joe replied, and he nodded, turning to look at me with a smirk on his face.

"What about you...?" He trailed off, looking at me hopefully.

"My name is Am-"

"Her name's Amy." Joe smoothly lied, and I looked at him in shock, but Daniel seemed to believe Joe.

"Alright, Amy, what would you like?" David asked with a flirty smile.

"Same as him, please." I said, and we were told to sit down after being given a ticket. When we sat at a table, I looked at Joe.

"Why did you tell him my name was Amy?" I demanded, and he smirked.

I wanted to slap it off his face.

"You don't just tell a stranger your name!" He replied, and I rolled my eyes.

"It's called an introduction. Something you never have because you always skipped to the point." I retorted, but immediately regretted it when I saw the hurt look on Joe's face.

This is an example of deja vu.

"You know what? I'm sorry for caring about your safety, for trying to prevent you from getting stalked. So, if you see that creep outside your house, don't come to me because I won't try to help." He said and stormed out.

I really wanted to follow him.

But I couldn't leave the food.

Take the food and go! Run after the love of your life!

"Number 128! Number 128?!" I heard one of the workers call out. I looked at my ticket and when I saw it was me I quickly stood up.

"Here you go." David said, handing me the food with a wink. Thankfully Joe had payed.

"Thanks David." I muttered, and then realized my mistake.

"It's Daniel." He corrected and I shrugged, taking the food.

"Same thing." I said, ignored the shocked look on his face and ran away. I looked around the parking lot until I saw Joe's car and walked over there.

"Joe, I'm so sorry for what I said to you." I told him when I climbed inside the car. He glanced at me then looked away with the same hurt look on his face.

"Why do you keep on bringing it up if you know I've changed?" He whispered. I kept my fries down and wiped my hands and then hugged him.

"I honestly don't know why, but what I do know is that you have changed, and I'm extremely happy about it." I told him sincerely.