Chapter 5.5: The Bulldog of Britannia V2

As of December 07, 2021, this chapter has been rewritten.

28th March 1942,

Somewhere in the Atlantic,

Onboard CVN-73 USS George Washington.

While getting situated, Prime Minister Winston Churchill was currently being led to the bridge. He was able to get a good view of the ship from their V-22 Osprey, it being the largest ship he had ever seen. His aides spoke in hushed whispers over the scale of the ship, managing to still launch and retrieve planes even as their own craft had touched down to land.

Being a veteran sailor himself, he had always prioritized naval funding before the various other departments. While an army and air force is important for the defense of the Empire, the Empire and the home islands survival is based on the control of the seas.

Just as in the last war, the Axis wolf-pack strategy has been working. The only reason the home islands have lasted this long has been the bravery and commitment of the Royal Navy. But even then, the shocking German technological advantage degraded the fleet with weapons that they had no counter to.

As he passed through the halls of the supercarrier, there was part of him that was glad to see the familiarity in ship designs. Even with all the advanced technology, it is pleasing to him that there are some similarities between both people and time. It made them feel less.... Alien.

Churchill was still getting over the shock of seeing women serving onboard the vessel. Such an idea would have been considered unthinkable as war has traditionally always been an affair between men.

First on the helicopter, then seeing another getting into a fighter jet, and finally, the one who had been escorting him around the ship, Lieutenant Junior Grade Ashley Coral.

The role of women had always been in the home. Either with the children or in the management of the home, only recently taking up jobs in arms factories to free up manpower for the front lines. The thought of women serving on the front line would have meant that either the men were unable to fight, or the enemy was quite literally right on their front doorstep. For women to be so prevalent in service would normally be a sign of utter desperation, such as the current state of the Soviet Union.

Forced to conscript every man, woman, and child to stop the Axis war machine, only recently finding some measure of success with the ongoing siege of Stalingrad. Judging by the state of affairs on the ship, having women serve in combat roles had become the norm.

Not that Churchill disliked women, he found Coral to be a charming, young, and beautiful woman. To his surprise, she had been very informative and quick to answer any questions, and has been very respectful to the etiquette due to his station.

"I have to admit, Lieutenant Coral, I am surprised to see a woman on a warship. I have been impressed by your skill set and professionalism." he told her as they traverse down the gray, monotonous corridors of the titanic ship.

"My father was in the Navy, same with my grandfather," Coral explained. "The sea always had a calling for me. It runs in the family."

"Interesting," he said. "Following the family tradition. That is something I can respect." He said with a smile.

As the two conversed about the naval history of Coral family legacy, he entered the ship's bridge. Unlike current warships, this future behemoth featured dozens of screens, with dozens of sailors meaning their stations near each one.

He had no clue what most of them were used for, a navigation and plotting board he'd pegged easily enough, but the sheer amount of them was baffling. There are still windows to allow the officers to glimpse outside the ship and see the flat deck, but the advanced technology even on this small scale is impressive, clearly surpassing the Axis.