chapter 1

"Arrival"

The sun was high in the sky when you woke up in your family's wagon. Did your armpits always feel this.. sweaty? You stretched and propped yourself up with your hands. "Morning cariño! We're almost there!" That voice would be your mother. You made a mumble of acknowledgement as you rolled up the cloth protecting the back of your wagon to inspect your changing surroundings.

"You know, I've heard that new arrivals are celebrated in Encanto," You stared at the blur of plants pass you by. "Maybe you'll make new friends!" As much as you loved your mother, you highly doubted it. Your hair felt so greasy all of a sudden. You really needed a bath and a long hard look at the mirror. Maybe then you'd feel better.

The wagon rolled to a stop and you felt a dread creep into your heart and fester. "They've got lives of their own. They might not even see you for more than a second." Is what you thought to yourself. But still.. You ran a hand over your face to see if there were bumps or acne. You felt a few on your forehead. Damn it. You clicked your tongue in anxiousness. "I'm sure the kids in town will love you, cariño." Mama put a hand on your shoulder. "You have nothing to worry about!"

You really hoped so.