Chapter 31

Ignorance is bliss, ain't it?

Anisha had adopted this policy and ignored the subsequent two visits by her father. She had other things to worry upon not the ones where she can literally not do anything.

Similarly, she ignored this visit continuing what she was doing before his arrival. Abhimanyu had specifically instructed her to finish going through some five files before evening and give him full take upon the new project.

She was completely engrossed when the phone buzzed and she answered her perfectly rehearsed line to be questioned by an all too familiar voice.

" Can you bring us coffee? Bring one for yourself I need you to take down notes."

Anisha was quick on her toes and made her special coffee. She took the three cups inside and made a dash for her tablet.

Once inside she stood in front of Abhimanyu's chair awaiting his instructions. She had a rule unless asked to sit, stand.

Abhimanyu didn't take notice of her stood form and just continued with his meeting. Anisha was clueless but she was quick in jotting down the important facts.

She realised they were dealing with opening of a new restaurant. Something they both were new to. The deal as she thought further was combining the experience of her father and the young intricate mind of her husband.

The meeting continued for two more hours until Mr. Sharma's phone rang. He excused himself and that's when Abhimanyu took notice of the fact that she was standing all along.

" I am sorry. I didn't even notice." Abhimanyu began, " I thought you would be sitting by now or must be outside doing your work. I am sorry."

She simply shaked her head getting the message sent, " It's part of my job!"

He sighed and extended his hand in her direction. She grabbed it and went along with his whim. As she stood next to his chair he turned and pulled her down making her land on his lap.

She shrieked in surprise. He laughed.

She suddenly realised her position and tried getting up but he didn't budge. Shying away she hid her head in his chest and he stroked her back out of habit.

" Chal, notes hi dikha de tab tak!" ( Show me the notes in the meantime.)

She nodded and opened the tab for him to see.

He grabbed her chin by his little finger making her look into his eyes, " You read out the notes."

She simply shrugged and burrowed her head into his neck.

He got the message and went through the notes on his own.

Anil Sharma finished his call in the meantime and entered inside the cabin. He had knocked but he got no answer. What he saw had him want to wash his eyes with a detergent.

His daughter was sitting on the lap of her husband in duty hours. This is what he taught her! Clearly that is why she was such a disappointment to him.

He sighed and sat back on his chair. His movement alerting the couple.

Anisha quickly got up and was on her feet standing beside his chair.

" Why did you guys stop on my accord? Please continue." Anil said sarcastically.

Abhimanyu narrowed his eyes but said nothing.

Only if Anil Sharma had noticed it. He was too engrossed in staring down his daughter.

Anisha was shocked. Yes, it was her fault but he was the one taking such long calls in a meeting and then he accused them. She looked at him in bewilderment.

He noticed her expression and stated, " Why are you looking at me like that? Tumko karne me sharm nahi aati aur me bol bhi nahi sakta? Kabhi nahi socha tha apni hi beti ko sikhaunga ki office me aise behave karte hai, boss se kitni duri honi chahiye. Par tumhe kya tumne to job hi apne position ke chalte ye wali 'choose' kari."
( You are not shy while doing things then why can't I say it? Never had I thought, I would tell my own daughter how to behave in office, adequate distance from boss. But what should I tell you when you got the job as a courtesy of your position.)

Anisha was bewildered. He thought too low about her. While Abhimanyu couldn't bear it anymore. Before Mr. Sharma could spout more nonsense he interrupted the exchange, " Why don't we wrap up the session and meet with a presentation in the next one? And while it was none of your business how I treat my wife, it was definitely not your business for saying those things. I may seem calm but I am not in a good state of mind and anything else you say, I maight resort to extreme actions." His voice had an undertone sending shivers through whoever listened.

Anisha looked at the two men. These two were the most important men in her life. One who brought her up and one who thought highly of her. She couldn't bear that the two had such an exchange because she sat on her husband's lap. As she saw her father pack his bag her husband pulled her forearm to grasp her attention.

" I want you to study this file and make a presentation in two days."

She looked at the file and nodded her head.

Maybe he needed some alone time that is why he didn't even discuss about the exchange.

After her exit he put his palms on his head. " He thinks so low about his own daughter! And she has cried rivers for him! He doesn't even value her!"

Anisha, meanwhile resorted to her slogan  these days, " Ignorance is bliss" and continued her work.