Chapter 3: Purpose?

Before he could take another step, the shadow of a person could be seen. Steps were heard as they came closer. Until it revealed a lone man. If there was a crowd of people, he would blend perfectly. That's how normal he looked.

Another problem after another, why can't I take a break. Does this world hate me this much? Or am I the one putting myself in these situations.

"Is there something I can help you with?" The main character spoke cautiously.

"Nothing. I just need you to hand over your belongings."

Ugh, I don't want to deal with this. Can't you just leave me alone and I'll do the same? We're all struggling, don't make it worse for someone else. They wouldn't listen even if I told him.

"And if I refuse?"

Although the protagonist blended in with the people of the slums, his hair and clothes still stuck out among all the other people. Naturally someone would try to steal them so they could sell it. Since they were unique someone would believe it would fetch quite a good price. By this logic it would also mean that he might own equally rare items. Even if he didn't they wouldn't lose anything.

"Well, it'll be taken by force."

"Makes sense." He clicked his tongue.

He didn't want to cause trouble or get involved with these types of people. Trust me, back on earth he was surrounded by people like him, some even worse. He had enough with these people. That's why when faced with this situation his first option was to peacefully talk it over. Of course that never goes well. Now, seeing that option not being available he prepared for what would happen next.

Where he communicated with the spirit was an alleyway. So behind him was a dead end, meaning that he needed to get past the man to leave.

Comprehending that the main character wasn't showing any signs of compliance, he was about to take out his weapon until he stopped.

What should I do? Fight him directly, nope. Wait, I got a better idea. If he won't move I'll force him to.

The main character's thoughts were along these lines. Not giving the chance to do anything the protagonist dash straight at the man, unsheathing his dagger. He swung it, aiming for nothing in particular. The one on the receiving end of the attack was barely able to dodge it. He quickly took his own weapon to retaliate. Only to see him sprinting away from the location.

"Bitch, you thought. I'm not going to fight someone with a weapon!" He shouted, raising his middle finger.

If this was a fist fight he would've won due to his history of getting into fights. He was no martial artist or trained as one but he at least had experience. This all changed when it came to someone pulling a weapon. All he could do was either run or pull his own. He knew way too well that people wouldn't fight fair hence why he brought one in case.

After running for a while he stopped, slowly breathing inwards and outwards. As he was far away from the previous location, he relaxed slightly. To his surprise the spirit was still with him. At first he thought that it was joking about following him but it actually kept their word.

I feel it will be keeping me company for a while, not like I'm complaining. Sometimes you need company. More when you get isekai'd into an unfamiliar place with no help or guidance. It is what it is.

He continued, going back towards the market district. He searched for someone to teach him how to read but he couldn't find one. Most looked at him weirdly, others asked for a lot of money, some even tried to take advantage of him.