Chapter 23

"He's dead? How?"

"His drinking really did a number on his kidney, his intake of drugs, damaged his lungs, basically he had cancer, and we never knew, he's been hiding the thing." He said with no emotion.

"That's suicide." I deadpan.

He scoffed. "Tell me something I don't know."

I studied him for a while. Any other person would say that he was completely okay with his father's death, but I knew he wasn't. The rigidity of his shoulders, his tense tone, faraway look. He didn't want him to die.

"How are you feeling."

"I don't know what to feel, I'm feeling everything at once. I didn't want him to die, I wanted him to change, I hoped he could change. I wanted to start over with him, hoping he'd become a new person. I miss him, in some sick twisted way, I miss him. Both my parents are dead Skylar, I'm officially an orphan. I don't know what to think, or feel." He said.

Seeing how lost he looked, I wrapped my arms around him, allowing him to bury his face in my neck.

"So what's going to happen now, with the company?" I mumbled against his shoulder.

"My dad was obviously aware of his fatal health issues, that's probably why he was trying to rush me and Anastasia's wedding. He wanted the companies to be merged as soon as possible, and he wanted a son that would follow his demands and continue his legacy.

Since, I'm not twenty yet, my uncle is stepping in. He may be my dad's brother, but he's a good man. He'll take over till I'm ready to take it up." He said. I nodded, trying to digest all that information.

"I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. It's not your fault. I just want to be a normal kid, go to Uni, date the girl I like, and live the life I want. Is that too much to ask?"

"Hey, look on the bright side, you have someone that actually understands that now, you'll be able to chill a little."

"Yeah."

"What about your eyes?" I asked the question that has been on my mind since.

"Honestly, I don't give a shit." He mumbled, tugging at my jumper.

"What about Anastasia?" I asked, fiddling with a loose thread on his coat.

"I broke things off with her last week, if I can even call it that. I went into hiding from my dad and laid low in my grandparents' place, my mum's parents. I had to get off my dad's radar so I went to the one place that I knew he won't find me.

There, I had a lot of time to think, and I just knew I had to end things with her. She ranted, cursed me out, and threatened to tell may father. I told her that I didn't care, and she threw a tantrum for another one hour.

I was sure I was going to get called in by my dad so imagine my surprise when I hear he's dead. Anastasia's parents pulled out of the deal once they heard that, and she could do nothing about it."

"Safe to say, she won't be bothering us anymore." I added.

"What did you do?" He asks, narrowing his eyes.

"Only the necessary." I shrugged. He looked suspicious but let it go.

"I'm living with my grandparents with the moment, I need to get away from everything." He stated.

"That's great." I say smiling.

"You should come over and meet them sometime, they'll love you."

"Are you sure?"