Change

Chapter 7

 Varian

Even though a day had passed, my body was still tingling from the unexpected shock. I couldn't believe a human could treat another human like this – they didn’t even have an excuse! Back home it was so chaotic that treating each other like this would have been understandable. It wasn’t unusual to find people brutally beating someone for their supplies. Here, however, they had a plentiful amount of supplies, and they were pushing us not for survival, but for ‘improvement’.

Once, someone had tried stealing my supplies. I remember falling asleep, or trying to. I didn’t get much sleep because it was hard to find myself relaxed enough to actually trust myself to fall asleep. Either way, someone was approaching, keeping their footsteps light by only touching their toes against the ground. But they weren’t light enough.

I kept my eyes closed, letting my chest rise and fall despite the feeling of my heart rate as it spiked. No one knew, but I was terrified. I’d never had someone steal from me before, but it was happening right now.

For a second, I considered lying there and letting them take it. I wouldn’t have to result to violence. But I realized if I let them take my supplies, everyone would start stealing from me. I would become the prey in a wolf’s world.

So when they were close enough I jumped up, tackled them to the floor and started beating them. I couldn’t see them, couldn’t tell whether they were a he or she. I just kept hitting them until someone pulled me off, distantly yelling.

I later found out they were a he and that he was only around the age of ten. But I refused to show any remorse. I couldn’t show remorse towards anyone, not even little kids. They’d tried taking from me. After that no one tried stealing my supplies again.

I was sitting on the floor, still refusing to even use the bed. I wasn't about to let this sick lab coat think I was getting all cozy and comfortable here. No, I planned on leaving the moment I could.

I also wasn't going to leave without taking Arcelia with me. Just the thought of her in pain had me angry, and I yearned to beat the bastard who'd hurt her over and over.

Suddenly the door opened and in came three people: a lab coat that had my eyes turning cold, a man with a scar running across his eye and then the last person had me relaxing slightly.

"Hello Experiment Varian. This is Dimitri, our new director and Linsey, his assistant." Arcelia said formally, not looking at me, but at the man holding a clipboard in his hands. Did they not learn from last time?

"So, are you the Varian that's become everyone's favorite thing to talk about? I didn't think they'd ever stop talking about Lia." Dimitri said in a friendly tone that had me bristling.

"How was your day Arcelia?" I asked, switching my eyes from Dimitri's to hers and watched as hers eyes widened and she looked down.

"When asked a question we answer Varian." She said softly, peeking up at me through her eyelashes, her gray eyes looking scared.

I gritted my teeth and would've answered the question just to see her eyes look at me with relief instead of fear and for her voice to be soft and joyful rather than the stiff formal way she talked earlier. It all stemmed from the apprehension she had towards Dimitri, who just grinned and talked before I could.

"I don't mind. I'll just gain his respect the old fashioned way." He said and his eyes looked like they held an ancient secret that only he knew.

"I apologize for Experiment Varian's outburst." Arcelia started quickly, looking down.