23: Then let us all runaway, and I'll be your 2nd male wife

Edited by Relendria

Fa Enlai felt betrayed when he saw what was on Hong Jia Yi's neck. He flushed with anger but tried not to show it.

"Hong Jia Yi, there's a bug bite on your neck," Fa Enlai said, bitterness creeping into his voice.

Hong Jia Yi blushed and touched his neck before looking shyly at Liang Meng Yao. Liang Meng Yao was simply minding his own business and ignoring the she-males so he didn't notice the interchange going on behind him.

"Bug bite? Oh, please! Like you don't know exactly what a hickey is. Don't pretend like you don't know what that mark is," Xin Yi scoffed harshly.

Fa Enlai was extremely annoyed these days. His days have been nothing but horrible lately. Soon his wedding day will arrive and he will be married off to the village chief second son. Everyone knew what type of person the Chief's second son was. This village was a small group of people, after all. Fa Enlai wanted to ask Liang Meng Yao to elope with him. Fa Enlai had a little money to provide for them when they ran but he didn't want to be alone. That's why he had been hoping in his heart that Hong Jia Yi and Liang Meng Yao hadn't been getting along.

This was bitter, so bitter...

"Who are you talking to? I wasn't talking to you so leave me alone!?" Fa Enlai retorted angrily.

"Don't yell," Hong Jia Yi urged.

Fa Enlai calmed down and breathed deeply. Although he did not like Hong Jia Yi, he still had respect and knew that he was being disrespectful right now.

"Liang Meng Yao!"

Liang Meng Yao looked up at him.

"Yes?" he responded politely.

"I'd like to asked you something," Fa Enlai said bluntly.

Liang Meng Yao looked at Hong Jia Yi and nodded at him before going around the front alone with Fa Enlai.

"Hong Jia Yi! You really let that seducer alone with your husband? Are you crazy?!" Xin Yi asked in a combination of astonishment and concern.

"Calm down; it's fine. I trust Liang Meng Yao. Why don't we go prepare some tea and snacks."

Liang Meng Yao leaned against the wall, ready to hear what Fa Enlai had to say.

"Let us elope together," Fa Enlai blurted out boldly.

Liang Meng Yao looked at him, then smiled and said, "No, I can't do that."

Fa Enlai was surprised.

"Why? I have money we can use to survive," Fa Enlai told him.

"I can not do that because I already have a wife here and I'm happy with him," Liang Meng Yao told Fa Enlai seriously.

"Then let us all run away. I am willing to be your second wife."

"No."

"Why?"

"My customs only allow me to have have one wife," Liang Meng Yao explained.

"But this is not 'China'; this Qing! Multiple wives are normal here."

"I prefer to follow my country's traditions," Liang Meng Yao said firmly. "Besides, I'm not interested in marrying you, Fa Enlai. I am grateful for what you have done for me but I don't have that type of feeling towards you."

Liang Meng Yao left no room for Fa Enlai to misconstrue his emotions. Fa Enlai nodded, feeling like his heart was broken. He just turned away, deciding that he will not disturb this home any more.

"Okay. I hope you enjoy your life with Hong Jia Yi," he said honestly before turning to go.

Liang Meng Yao nodded a goodbye to Fa Enlai. He thought to himself that Fa Enlai wasn't a bad person as he returned to the back.

"Where is Fa Enlai?" Hong Jia Yi asked.

"He went home," Liang Meng Yao said.

"Okay."

"As he should," Bo Yang cut in coldly.

Liang Meng Yao was curious as to why these she-men disliked Fa Enlai but that was a question for later. Right now he had a project finish.

"This is really good Hong Jia Yi, how lucky is Mr. Liang?" Xin Yi said with a smile as they ate.

"It's not really that great," Hong Jia Yi refuted him modestly.

"What are you talking about? It's amazing." Bo Yang said, scraping his plate to get every little bit. The children were all eating happily on the floor.

Xin Yi had three children; the twins and a three year old. Bo Yang had a three year old child and was pregnant with his second child. They all lived as one big family but their little cottage was so small it could barely fit the latter.

Liang Meng Yao and the others were almost finished with the surface of the toilet. He tested it to see how solid it was and found that it was very sturdy. He told the men that it was okay to go home and rest so they can return bright and early tomorrow. He also paid them their promised 80 coppers. They decided that they really loved Liang Meng Yao being their boss. He was kind, easy going, and respectful.

Liang Meng Yao snuck up on Hong Jia Yi, who was cooking, and hugged him from behind.

"Don't you owe me a kiss as a reward for all my hard work?" Liang Meng Yao teased.

Hong Jia Yi blushed.

"I'm cooking!" he protested shyly.

"Aiya! Aiya! It won't burn if you take your eyes off of it for two seconds!"

Liang Meng Yao ignored Hong Jia Yi's protest and began to kiss him.