CHAPTER 45

I walk outside the hospital with my mate in my arms. I place her on the stretcher the hospital nurse provides.

"Nate, no matter what I do, don't interrupt until you see the fire out of her body."

"Okay," I say, stepping back so Ekaterina can try to remove the fire from my mate's body.

Ekaterina stands beside Elizabeth's body and begins to uncast the spell Ava did.

I watch as Ekaterina's eyes become black the more she chants words. I begin to panic once I see blood flowing from her nose. She's practicing black magic.

"Stop, Ekaterina, you're bleeding," I shout over the loud words she's chanting. It's like another being took over her body the more she tries to draw the fire out of Elizabeth's body.

I don't want Ekaterina to die while trying to save my mate. I'll have to find another way to save Elizabeth without losing my friend in the process. I moved forward to touch Ekaterina's body so I could bring her back and drive away whatever took over her body. The moment I am about to touch her, a ball of hot fire pushes me back.

"I told you not to interrupt me!" A voice more profound than I ever heard spoke to me. The voice came from my friend but was definitely not her. Her eyes are black and void of any emotion. She was bleeding through her nose badly.

I dusted myself off the ground and quickly mind-linked Kyler to come. He might be able to bring Ekaterina back.

Kyler arrives a few seconds after I am done talking to him.

"My love, it's me, your mate," Kyler tries to bring his mate back.

"No love of yours is here!" the being inside Ekaterina replies.

"Don't let them take you, Ekaterina; our baby needs you. I need you. Please come back," Kyler pleads.

"Baby," a voice a lot similar to Ekaterina's says.

"Yes, our baby," Kyler says, placing his hand on her belly. He was able to get close to her.

"My baby," Ekaterina says, her eyes returning to their original color. "Kyler, what are you doing here?"

I release a breath of relief once I hear Ekaterina's actual voice.

"Thank goodness you're back. I thought I lost you," Kyler says, hugging Ekaterina.

"Back from where," Ekaterina asks, confused.

"That's not important; the Queen is still convulsing. What are you going to do?" Kyler asks.

"Let me try one more time."

"No," I object before she begins. "I want to save Elizabeth, but I will feel guilty for the rest of my life if you die while doing it."

"I want to try something else."

"Oh, what?"

"I'll try to create a water spell to put out the fire from within her."

"That sounds like a good idea."

"Yeah, let me try it. Please move away a little," Ekaterina tells us.

"Sure," I say, taking a step back, and Kyler follows.

Once we are at a reasonable distance, Ekaterina creates a shield like the last one she made while we were fighting. My eyes widened once I realized she had lied to us. She is actually going to try and undo the spell again. That must be the only way to save Elizabeth's life, but she lost control the first time. I fear I'll lose her forever this time. I've to stop her.

Kyler and I shout for her to stop, but Ekaterina only tries harder to save Elizabeth's life. She chants fast, bleeding from her nose and eyes.

I only stop shouting the second the fire in Elizabeth's body comes out and burns out in the air. Ekaterina takes down the shield and falls but is caught by Kyler. She must be exhausted from all the spells she had cast.

"Thank you," I say, with tears in my eyes. I can't believe my friend did it. She was able to undo the dark magic on my mate. My mate was going to live now.

"That's what friends are for," Ekaterina says as she rests her body on her mate's. She rested on his good arm, not the injured one. Kyler walks her inside the hospital to get treatment for the draining spells she'd just cast.