fifty three.

CHAPTER FIFTY THREE
no longer sisters

Cookie

Candace and Carol had just arrived at the hospital, and they ran up to Cookie. Candace spoke with the upmost urgency. "Cookie, what happened now? Another one of your kids is in the hospital?!"

"Who is it this time? Hakeem?" Carol assumed. "I would not be surprised."

But she was wrong. "It's Ro."

That made Carol inhale sharply. "Ro?! No one better not had touched my niece!"

"Well, they did. She got shot, and she's in a coma."

"By who?!" Candace demanded to know.

"This has Lucious written all over it!" Carol commented, ticking Cookie off.

Cookie snapped at her because she had a weird obsession with Lucious. "Are you gonna blame Lucious every time something goes wrong? It's old, Carol!"

She argued back. "No, it's not old! It's facts! That man is no good!"

"He's no good, but he's always on your mind. Why is that?"

"Because he's always going to be in our lives now, thanks to you! Or maybe not since he's dying soon." Carol shrugged briskly and carelessly.

Yeah, Cookie was pissed off now. "Listen, you need to worry about your own man!"

"I don't have one."

"I see why."

Carol scowled, offended by that comment. "Oh, you wanna go there? Let me tell you something, Cookie, I don't have a man because I actually know my worth. And if I did have one, I'd be smart enough not to let him let me rot in jail for seventeen years!"

Cookie officially lost her cool with her. She tried to attack her, but Candace got in the middle of them. "Stop it! Are you two seriously fighting over Lucious?!"

"Damn right we are, because she's always defending that man! He never gives you that same energy, Cookie! That's what you don't realize!" Carol spat. "I mean, didn't he divorce your ass while you were doing time? For him?!"

Cookie could beat her ass for that comment, but why waste energy on her? So she exhaled deeply, trying to calm down her rage. Then she spoke to her actual sister. "Candace, please get her out of my face before I hurt her."

Candace frowned at Carol. "Maybe you should go cool off, Carol."

"No, I'm good, sis! I think I'mma stay here and tell Cookie about herself some more!"

Cookie was about to respond, but Lucious came to see what the ruckus was about. "What is all this shouting about?"

Of course Carol attacked him too. "Oh, look who it is! Lucifer!"

Lucious huffed. "Alright, what's your problem with me, Carol? Just lay it out, because you start mess every time you see me."

Carol spoke in a low, grim tone. "You wanna know what my problem is? My problem is that you're turning my sister into Lucifera! That's what my problem is!"

Candace grabbed her. "Okay, you need to stop!" She pointed at the exit. "Go! Now!"

Carol grilled Lucious and Cookie up and down. "Yeah, I'mma go alright. Cookie needs to go far away from that devil, but she won't!"

Then Carol stormed out of the hospital as Lucious said, "What the hell is going on?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary. Just Carol being Carol," Candace answered.