Chapter 38

I sat at the kitchen table, taking a break from writing to watch the chaos unfold in front of me. Everyone had just got home. Ginny and Hermione were wrapping presents and Mrs. Weasley was fighting to get Fred, Ron, and George out of the room so that they wouldn't see their gifts.

The kitchen was filled with a heavy sweet scent as Harry iced the cake we had baked. I sipped my tea, trying not to spit it out as Mrs. Weasley hit Ron over the head with a newspaper.

I looked back down at my letter, folding it up and sealing it shut.

ℳ𝓇. 𝒟𝒾𝑔𝑔𝑜𝓇𝓎

Was written on the front of the envelope in bright gold ink. I smiled softly as I put it in my pocket to send later.

I propped up my head with my hand, watching in content. Hermione laughed as Ginny struggled to wrap George's gift. I laughed as she shook the tape off her hands. Mrs. Weasley wanted us to try to wrap the gifts "the muggle way" and everyone was struggling.

My eyes shifted over to Harry as he looked up from the cake, smiling at me.

I looked back at Hermione, covering my mouth with my sleeve to hide my grin. Hermione raised an eyebrow and smiled knowingly as I rolled my eyes.

I hate that she knows me so well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat down on the old couch, drowsy from the large dinner. I was kind of grateful for the moment of peace as everyone was still distracted in the kitchen. I sighed as Hermione sat down next to me.

"What is going on, Y/n?" She asked, propping her elbow up on the back of the couch.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I hummed.

"Uh-huh." She smiled.

She lowered her voice a bit, "I thought you were done with Harry."

I sighed, not knowing how to explain how I felt.

"Well, first, Harry's obviously not interested in me." I shrugged.

"And how do you know that?" She asked.

I scoffed, raising my eyebrows.

"I'm not blind, so unless you have some incredible secret you want to tell me," I dropped my hands in my lap, "Nothing is going to happen between us."

She shook her head in disappointment.

"On the other hand," I allowed a smile to creep onto my face, "He's just so...dashing. There's just something about him, it's like I've been jinxed or something."

She smiled softly, letting a sigh out, "Well, I'm just saying that you shouldn't give up so easily. There's a reason you're pulled to him. But don't limit yourself just yet."

She started to get up to go back to the kitchen. I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"You confuse me!" I called to her as she left the room.

"Good."

I closed my eyes, leaning my head against the couch. I sat there for a while, enjoying the peace even though I was fighting with myself.

After a few moments of silence, I felt another presence as they sat down next to me. I exhaled sharply, looking up at them.

Harry Potter.

I looked at him, waiting for him to say something.

"Uh," He cleared his throat, "Why haven't we talked?"

"About what?" There's no way I was going to bring it up first.

"About... you know." I raised an eyebrow, "The, uh... kiss?"

"What about it?" I asked as I shrugged my shoulders, flattening my lips into a straight line. "Not my business."

I crossed my arms over my chest. He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well, you seemed upset and you haven't been talking me." He started.

"Well, you didn't exactly make an effort to talk to me either," I scoffed.

"Because I thought you didn't want to talk to me!" He raised his voice frustratedly.

"I..." I exhaled sharply, "I didn't."

"Why?"

"I don't know, Harry." I shrugged.

"Is it because you were upset that I kissed Cho?" He leaned forward, trying to get a better look at my face.

"I have no reason to be upset. Your relationships are none of my business and I shouldn't care." I said.

His eyes fell to the floor.

"I think I better go help out." I mumbled, getting up quickly. I went to the front hall and pulled my jacket off of the hook.

"I'm going to go on a walk." I called as I wrapped my scarf and pulled on my gloves, "I'll be back soon."

I got a murmur of replies from the other room.

I shut the door behind me and kicked the wall repeatedly.

I'm so stupid. Why would I say that, any of that. Why am I so idiotic? I should have just explained it, or confessed, or something. I could be inside, enjoying cocoa with my friends as we enjoyed each other's company.

Yet, here I was. In love with a boy, yet all alone.