forty-eight: eventuality

Working at pack Morris’ nursery stole Selena from thinking of Nathaniel. It gave her time to do other stuff than want him to pull her into a dark room and kiss for minutes at a time, something Nathaniel had been doing for the past days.

She runs her hand through her hair as she watches the pups scurry out of the room with their parents.

“Bye.” She smiles at the last pup to leave the nursery.

“Look at you, lady.” Lively stood beside her. “You’re blooming, you know?”

Selena replied with a nod, turning flushed as she fiddled with her fingers.

“Thank you.” She says. “I like it here. No one’s making hawking on me.”

“No one except Nathaniel.”

“He’s the only exception.” She retorted.

“Yeah, I can see you. Ogling at him. Never have I seen a woman get pregnant every time her partner looks at her or whenever she looks at her partner.”

Selena chastised herself. It was that obvious? She wasn’t trying to hide it and her attraction to him was building fast, and it became harder to conceal her unspeakable needs.

“Did Nate talk to you about moving? Any plans involving just the two of you?”

She shook her head no.

“No, but he’s acting weird ever since a week ago. He’s been short with words and always on his guard like he’s hiding something from me.”

“I suggest you watch out.” She smirked. “From my personal experience, guys get cheesed whenever they plan on doing something.”

A surprise maybe? She thought. Though Nathaniel wouldn’t be that sloppy when organizing something, he can’t be. Still, she didn’t let it bother her. She had come a long way into disarming herself with any doubt, and she believed he was doing things for the right reasons.

“I will.” She nods.

“And there’s something else I wanted to talk about. You remember, Aurora, right?”

Her brows meet in a state of befuddlement.

“Yes. What is it?”

“I know you and Nate are talking about you training to be a spy. He asked me if I could find someone and I recommended Aurora. She’s the best I know, and she already said yes.”

“But pack Albrich is not letting any wolf inside their borders.”

Right after finding out Roark had lived under pack Albrich’s protection for a good chunk of four years, Joseph took its strides to ban all wolves from entering their border, even going as far to kill trespassers on sight.

The air in pack Albrich right now was far too hostile to any wolf to be granted passage.

“You are Talon’s sister. I’m pretty sure they’ll be kind enough to slip you through the cracks. I would count it as a crime if they turn you away.”

“I know Joseph. He and I are kind of friends, but I should run this over with Nathaniel.”

She put on a brave face and politely smiled.

A week after Nathaniel had urged her into looking for wolves that would become her mentor, Selena found no one willing to teach her. Their reasons came with her name. No one was up for the challenge, as her affiliation with her family already made her a public figure among wolves.

And training her as a covert agent was an impossible task.

It was crushingly frustrating, to say the least.