Prologue

Birds chirping in a cloudy afternoon and I hear faint sounds. Sounds of someone walking in grass, and instantly, I knew who it was.

Sasuke.

"Good afternoon, Sakura." He smiled, and so did I. He sat beside me and we watched the sky peacefully, enjoying each other's presence. I hum a quiet tune that only he can hear.

A few minutes pass by and I take a glance to see his features. Goodness, he aged like fine wine. His hair has gotten longer (he needs to cut it, really.), and his once smooth complexion, now covered with wrinkles that are too many to count. Despite his changed appearance due to old age, he will always be handsome to her eyes.

And finally, he looked at me. The spark in his black orbs fading away every now and then, but why? She doesn't know.

"Today's your 1 year death anniversary."

Oh, right.

I, Sakura Uchiha, had taken my leave at the age of 82.

Today marks 1 year of her departure.

He still couldn't believe it. To this day, he still mourns her loss.

There was never a day where he did not think of her, the same goes for his daughter, Sarada. Eventually, she was able to accept and move forward to continue taking care of her family.

It's been pretty lonely since you left. Naruto often invites me to do the most random activities, both for exercise and to distract me. For that, I am grateful towards him. I was able to enjoy those days even if you're not part of them.

Most days, I stare at our pictures, I read our letters when I was away on my travels, sometimes...I hum your tune towards our grandchildren. I do many things that remind me of you. It brings me comfort for the most part, but it brings me pain also.

As impatient as I am, I will wait for my departure. I cannot wait to see you again, dear.

"My sweet, sweet spring. I'll see you soon."

...

A pair of eyes snap open.

A boy immediately sat up from his bed, sweat trickling down his whole body as he stared on the wall. "Another one?" he groaned, massaging his temple.

He finds the aftermath of his dreams annoying, always ending with migraines that distract him throughout the morning–wait...but he doesn't see any sunlight on the window though. He turns his head to the side to check the alarm clock.

"4:00 am." sighing, he tries going back to sleep, until someone slammed the door open to his room. He was about to scream to whoever disturbed him, but looking at the distraught person on his door frame, he knew something was wrong.

"Sasuke." The woman– who appears to be his mother, looked at him with glassy eyes. "Your brother..."

August 29, 2024.

Everything went by in a blur.

He vaguely remembers this place, the last time his family was here was for their great grandfather, Madara. That was almost two decades ago, this time, his family gathered for the departure of Itachi Uchiha. His brother was a great man, who unfortunately lost the battle with an unknown disease their clan has carried for generations. Those who survive usually lose their eyesight by the age of sixty, Itachi was only 30.

The faint sobs of his mother echo around the room, and he couldn't bear to look at the state she's in. His father stands beside him, face unreadable yet Sasuke can see the pain reflected upon his eyes. Then he looks around to find his sister-in-law Izumi beside her late husband's coffin, tightly hugging her child. It's a heartbreaking sight, realization came that his niece will be growing up without a father, and he couldn't help but let a tear fall.