Chapter 140

Several minutes earlier at the city square.

"The stronger you fight. The harder it will be" Loki tried to persuade Ann to no avail. 

Collapsed to the floor on her fours, Ann's face was as pale as a ghost awaken from the dead. 

The pain had weakened her body and mind to the extent that she was losing sense of her surroundings and self.

"Huff... huff..."

With each breath shallower than the one before, her state was far past the point of return. 

Even if Ann was able to hold on for now, it would be only a matter of minutes before her heart gives out.

'I have to stay awake for a little longer. I need to leave this place'

Ann could feel her consciousness slipping away. She didn't want to hurt the innocent people in the city, even if it cost her life.

When the Archmage from the original novel underwent a mana outbreak, he had the female lead to help neutralize his mana with her extraordinary quantity of holy power. It was a touching scene between the overly cheesy dialogues when Helen held the unconscious male lead in her arms as tears flooded her eyes.

Right now, tears were flooding Ann's eyes but for an entirely different reason. Not to mention, she was severely lacking in the holy power department.

The only factor remaining between peace and one of Orion's worst tragedies was her willpower. The moment she loses consciousness, it would be game over.

With trembling hands, Ann reached for the dagger attached to her belt. 

The eagle emblem engraved on the blade glistened under the light. 

Seeing her face reflected on the blade reminded Ann of the simpler times as a kid. 

With nothing to fear or doubt, running wild on the grasslands of Finnel mountain with Chirpy on the tow trying to catch her. They spent careless moments filled with laughter till she fell asleep under Maria's soothing voice singing a lullaby.

"Arghh!" 

Ann dropped the dagger and clenched her hand. 

Deep veins appeared in the back, as crimson red blood dripped from her enclosed hands leaving a dark stain on the pavement. 

"Stop! You are killing yourself! You need to channel the flow of mana in your heart so it doesn't stop!" 

Ignoring Loki's outburst Ann tried to get on her feet. 

Although it was not the best of suggestions, in order to stay awake, Ann had cut herself in the palm with the dagger. 

The stinging pain in her hand was enough to distract herself for the time being, until she figured out a way to leave the city.

"You crazy women! You're only making it worse"

"Your constant berating is not helpful!" Ann snapped, wabbling like a newborn fawn.

There was less than a ten percent chance for an average person to survive a mana outbreak. 

From Ann's perspective, it was clear that she would not survive the mana outbreak unless a miracle happened.

'If I'm going out. I'm going out on my own stand!'

It would take at least an hour to reach the city limits on foot. By that time, she would have long turned into a doomsday machine and brought Parthellam to ruin.

The sky was the only option left. That way, the damage to the city could be minimized without endangering the people.

Still, there was a major flaw in the plan. Ann had neither the strength nor the means to enact the scheme.