Chapter 51

One week. One week had passed and Bella had not woken up and Mason was going nuts although the doctors kept reassuring him that she will wake up soon. He had hardly gone home or to the base and was literally living in Bella's room and was sleeping on a couch there. In his absence, Albert was taking care of the Mafia and Rich and Ben were looking after the company. 

It was the night of the seventh day. Mason had sat on a chair next to Bella's bed. He was holding one of her hands drawing circles on top of it. His face was buried in his other hand as he had closed his tired eyes. 

It was then that Bella's eyes fluttered open and she looked at the ceiling above her. Her mind was empty. The only sound in the dimly lit room was the sound of a beeping with the rhythm of her heartbeat. She was in a hospital? There was a throbbing pain in her left shoulder and someone was holding her right hand and was drawing circles on the back of it. She looked at her right and her heart fluttered at seeing Mason sitting beside her, but she frowned when she saw his condition. His always neat hair was messy. His beard had grown more than a stubble and he was in a simple blue t-shirt.

"Mason!" she called softly and watched as Mason's head snapped up and he looked at her wide eyed.

"Bella!" he whispered her name in disbelief and a second later he was standing with his hands on both sides of her face and stared down into her eyes. "God, you are awake, you are awake." he said and his eyes welled up but he didn't take his eyes off of her eyes like he had missed her eyes and was afraid that if he looks away she would vanish. 

Bella's frown deepened and she raised her right hand and caressed his jaw tenderly. "What's wrong, Mason?" she asked confused. "What has happened? Where am I? Why do you look like this?"

Mason leaned down and softly captured her lips and a sob left his mouth as he tasted those warm and heavenly lips again. Bella tried to raise both of her hands to touch his face but winced as she lifted her left arm.

Mason pulled away and looked down at her franticly. "What's wrong? Do you have pain? What it is? Where do you feel the pain?" he bombarded her with questions.

"Why are you crying? Why am I in a hospital? Why does my left shoulder hurts?" she asked back now getting worried.

"Shit." cursed Mason when he saw her panicked eyes. He quickly pressed a red button near her bed and cupped her cheeks in his hands. "It's alright, my love. Everything is alright now. Just don't be worried. I will explain everything. You don't remember anything?"

Bella shook her head just as the door of the room opened and a doctor and a nurse rushed in. "She just woke up." said Mason and stood aside while holding Bella's hand and letting the doctors run a check-up on her. He looked down at her and smiled brightly when he saw her looking up at him. 

"Okay, everything seems fine." said the doctor and smiled at the couple. "Now we will do an ultrasound to make sure everything is fine. We will be back in a few minute."

"ultrasound?" asked Bella confused. "Why they should do an ultrasound? What's going on, Mason?"

"Bella!" said Mason and caressed her cheeks lovingly. "You were unconscious for a week. I'm gonna tell you what happened but you should promise to not panic, okay? everything has ended and everything and everyone is fine."

Bella nodded and her eyes widened as Mason briefly told her everything and she remembered slowly. "Oh God. Volkov." she said and her hand went to her shoulder and touched it. 

Mason took her hand and kissed it. "It's alright. He is dead now." he said but then his face become serious and he stared at her eyes. "Bella, you should promise me you won't do what you did that day ever again. You don't know what I went through these days. I was dying, Bella, I mean it. Don't do this to me again." he said and a tear rolled down his face.