When he gets shipped with the popular girl: him as your crush - Changbin

You arrived to class early that morning. The only other person in the room was Changbin, and that made you all the more nervous. Why? Because you liked him. You weren't sure when it happened, or why it did, but now your heart can't stop beating so fast when he was near.

It wasn't like you talked often, in fact, you haven't really spoken to him until you became a partners for the science project currently. This might've been your chance to get close.

"Hey y/n, do you have the report?" Changbin asked, sitting beside you since the teacher created a seating plan according to the apirs.

"Oh, yeah! I worked on it at home last night so I think we can finish it by today–"

Before the conversation could even start, Aera had walked in with a wide smile gleaming on her face. She looked divine, with her hair done neatly and her outfit matching her joyful personality. Everyone liked her. She was the popular girl.

You envied how beautiful someone could be without even trying.

"Hey, Changbin! You're here early. There's still time minutes until the warning bell goes. What's the occasion?"

She stood by your desks, body turned slightly to face him. Suddenly, you had lost all your confidence. Just when you thought you were able to speak to him comfortably, she had come and steal all his attention. You watched his eyes that looked at her. He was smiling.

"Ah, no reason. Just thought I could spend some time working on the project."

From what you knew, Changbin wasn't very close with Aera, but it didn't matter if they weren't close now, because Aera was outgoing and kind to all students. No wonder she became the head of the school council. She was an absolute angel in all aspects, and that captured the hearts of every boy in this school, as well as girls.

"Hm, that's good. I assume you're working with y/n here. Both of you are smart, I wouldn't be surprised if you got the highest mark in the class." She smiled at you, though you couldn't find it in you to smile back.

You hated that you were jealous of such a nice person. She didn't deserve to be despised, yet the small part of you wanted nothing else but for to be gone. Disgusting, isn't it—what love can do with one's feelings? But you wouldn't ever say or do anything to hurt her. Your jealousy couldn't take over you that much.

"Wait, Changbin, how tall are you again?" Aera asked.

You couldn't tell if she was teasing him or not because of the sweet expression on her face that made anything she said sound innocent.

"Five feet, eight inches!" He answered confidently.

She on the other hand giggled and pat his head as if he were a small child.

"You don't have to lie, I think your height makes you look cute! You're around five feet, six inches, right?"

As they exchanged more interactions, you were sure she was subtly flirting with him. He didn' even seem to notice, or care, because he never spoke up against her actions. Your heart ached watching the two grow to be friendly so quickly.

Before you knew it, students began to fill the room. The teacher wasn't here yet so they continued to chatter while taking their seats. Then out of nowhere, a girl noticed something she found worth mentioning.

"Woah, now that I see it happening, wouldn't Aera and Changbin make such a good couple?"

This question alone began a chain of conversations to stir. Voices debated, then squeeled, and then pictured everything out if it were to come true. Soon enough, the pair realized they were the topic being spoke of.

"You're right! They match each other well, considering their sense of humour and kindness. If they became a thing, they'd have the whole school's attention."

"Aww, now I kind of wish they were together! They would be so cute~"

"Are they flirting? Imagine having a partner so perfect to you, they're lucky. I totally ship it!"

Each sentence pierced an arrow through your heart. Your ears couldn't bare listening anymore.

They're right... Aera and Changbin would make a good couple. What were you even thinking? You never withstood a chance against her... He probably likes her too. It was never going to be you to begin with.

Aera laughed. "Ah, would we be good together?"

The way she said it sounded like she was only joking, like she was playing along for fun. That made you feel a greater pain. You took a glance at Changbin's face to see his reaction, but he didn't have any. He almost seemed to be frowning.

Not wanting to be around to hear his response, you got up from your seat and was about to head to the washroom when suddenly, a hand caught your wrist.

"Wait, don't go."

You froze, but slowly turned your head around. Changbin had stood up as soon as you were ready to disappear.

"...Why?"

"Because I need to tell you something right now." He stepped closer.

"What is it?" You asked, swallowing down the nerves fizzing in your throat.

"I like you."

Everything in the background —Aera, the audience, the classroom– had vanished. You could only see him. You could only hear him. Nothing else was left except the strumming of your heart to his words.

"W-what?"

Then before you could process what was happening, a pair of soft lips crashed down onto yours. Neither of you moved afterward. He was kissing you. Except it wasn't passionate, but sweet. Your heart was going to explode.

The whole class gasped, or at least silently exchanged wide eyes with each other. They did not expect this outcome at all. This was definitely going to be the top news around school once it gets out. Only now, you had to respond.

As he moved away and looked into your eyes, you felt a million emotions sparking in your body. This did not seem like a dream. You think he actually did that. Said that. To your face.

"I-I like you too," you finally replied.

Changbin smiled brightly and pulled you into a hug. You rested your head on his chest, letting the warmth envelop you. It felt nice.

Aera who stood and watched the whole scene play out by the side was also smiling. You wondered why, until the thought of her planning this all along, from flirting with him, to having the class ship it as they would do for anything, and then leading Changbin to naturally confess. What if that was her intention from the start?

You were impressed. As you met her gaze, she gave a thumbs up. Maybe that pain from earlier wasn't only to hurt you after all.