Chapter Two | Reunion

I can't breathe but maybe it's actually better that I die this way now that I think about it. No more having to worry about what'll happen when I eventually run into Xander or what I'll end up doing to him when we do. Jackson growled at that. Again, I ignored him. We all knew that it was for the better.

Besides, Xander wouldn't mind it. His conquests wouldn't have to end and we'd be able to go on with our lives without the explosion that would ensue if, by a one percent chance, we did try to make the mate thing work out. Not everyone who has a mate has to stick with their mate.

"Mom." I tried to suck in air to fill my constricting lungs. "I can't breathe."

"I missed my baby so much." She weeps into my chest as she was shorter, a few inches shorter than even Kaylee now.

As much as she was suffocating me and as much as I was slowly losing blood flow to my head and would surely, eventually, pass out if this continued, I welcomed her embrace. There was always too much going on within the pack so it was nearly impossible for my parents to really fly out to visit me, especially due to their status here at the pack.

The pack needed them here and I understood that but that didn't mean that seeing my mothers face, holding her, and smelling her didn't evoke a wave of comfort that I didn't think that I'd miss as much as I have. The surge of feelings that I hadn't anticipated came pouring out as I kept my arms wrapped around her small frame tightly.

A larger build casts a shadow over us as I feel my fathers presence behind me and vaguely witness him wrap his arms around myself and mom.

"You're taking forever Ms. Baby-Got-Back so I'm just going to get in on this action too before he gets fed up." My dad, who has not aged even a bit and remains the big muscular man that he is, mutters.

I laugh but refuse to express just how much I was actually enjoying this. My dad was, to put it simply, a clown. He never failed to flirt with mom in his own interesting way despite the fact that they've been together for over twenty years now or joke around and act like he was still in his twenties but truthfully he was in his fourties' and was incapable of excepting the fact that he was old now but Moon Goddess forbid I call him the 'O' word.

Truth be told, all of the parents of the people that I was close to acted like they were still youthful but it wasn't even embarrassing anymore because I was both used to it and they didn't look their age anyway. Aging was a concept lost on wolves.

I really did miss being home I mused as I pressed a kiss on my mothers forehead and chuckled as she cried  even harder.

"Let's not forget that your sons a bitch." Kaylee chimes in like the hater that she is.

"A bitch that we missed." Dad ruffles my hair until it's in an unruly condition.

That's when I decided that I've officially had enough and release my mom as I begin to swat his hands away, rolling my eyes at the way he guffaws and heads to the large kitchen to probably stuff his face with baked goods that were meant for everyone but he would inhale everything and then face the women of this pack houses wrath after the fact. A repeated cycle that I was very used to but being able to experience it again after three years was comforting, it made me feel like I had never left at all.