Ghost from the Past

Daniel Michael Stark hated hospitals.

Well, he still hates them.

Daniel stood behind a window, looking into the OR. He watched as the doctors operated on Nicholas Fury.

It's naive to think someone invincible, untouchable, even if they look all mighty and powerful. It seems that Daniel was naive enough to believe that with Fury. After all, Fury is the man in charge of everything and anything. He could literally start World War III by giving out an order and let there be war.

Yet there laid Fury open on the table as the surgeons worked on saving his life.

This has to be the longest time Daniel has been silent, watching the surgery before him. Steve and Nat stood at his sides, him in the middle. He couldn't look away from the surgery. All that was going through his head was that Fury was wrong about him and that there will be men after him soon enough as soon as they catch a whiff of him.

So, it is safe to say that he will have to go on the run soon. Just as he had gotten used to living in New York, he has to go on the run again. Moving one place to another was tiring. Now, he has to get into that again.

He did care about Fury, but it was mostly as to what would happen to him. Danger will soon come to Daniel, and he didn't want that. Although, he isn't surprised about it. He hasn't been a good man the last few year, nor did he plan on being that. No, he is just a man that will do whatever to get what he wants.

Daniel is selfish, that is what he knew for sure. He could see the way Natasha looked at the surgery with this urgency in her eyes, as if her life was dependent on it. He read up on her, her past. So, it was easy to see why she would react that way.

Fury gave her a second chance. Well, more like Barton did and Fury trusted his judgemenr to have her be part of something bigger. Something that wasn't about making others miserable just to hold them beneath their thumb. There was more to just power. There was the chance to do good for humanity because it was the right thing to do.

Glancing at Steve, Dan saw how anxious he was. No doubt from how he had Fury in his apartment and gave him something. He will have to take that soon when he has the chance. Right now doesn't seem like a good moment to pickpocket Captain America. No, perhaps when they head down to the cafeteria for a bite or the vending machines. Just another time where it wasn't now.

He was brought out of his head upon the sound of machines. Blue eyes looked at the scene before him with a certain coldness when he saw the machine make a loud, long beer rather than the usual rhythmic nose. All the surgeons had stopped their work and turned to the three agents watching the scene.

Nick Fury was dead.

Those four words made Daniel's heart drop.

He will have to be on the run again.

Letting out a shuttering breath, he stepped out to gather his thoughts upon the matter.

Plus, he doesn't do well with grueving people. Never had been.

He remembers his parents funeral. The way people would come and go with teary faces, looking at the Stark boys with pity and holding them. Both boys held in their emotions, not wanting to cry in front of strangers or people that didn't care about them.

No, to Daniel, a funeral is meaningless. It beest to just incinerate the person or bury them. A funeral would only be attended by people that either cared about the person, the family or because they want to catch a glimpse of drama take place. Whether it be the sight of the Stark boys crying and falling onto their knees to make a scene.