Heartglass 14: Love

AZALEA

The night was chilly. I walked outside, to the balcony, inhaling some fresh air, wearing my thin nightdress, while my bare shoulders were covered by a thick white shawl. My long red waves were blown by the gentle wind as I stared down at the dead rose garden and leaned closer on the marble balustrades and rested my elbows on top of it.

The days in the palace were surprisingly peaceful and I wondered how long it would last. Well, this was just the third day. And the Queen wasn't even interested on our classes or maybe she wasn't interested on how we were all faring.

My stare focused on the dried leaves and crisp rose branches. Surprisingly, the sight of it was comforting despite its gloominess. But it would be better if I could grow roses on it and cultivate it. I imagined it would be a beautiful sight to behold and I was suddenly lost in my thoughts, perceiving images right in front of my eyes–almost like daydreaming.

Celeste walked around the maze of red roses. Once again, her feet found their way to the garden despite what happened the other day. Despite knowing that there was a chance to meet the Prince again. Or maybe, deep inside, she just wanted to meet him. She was not afraid of him. And she could tell, he was not using his authority over her.

The rose he gave was still blooming on her makeshift vase–a glass she stole from the kitchen wares. A small smile crept on her bow-shaped lips. She unconsciously tucked the red loose strands behind her ears, thinking how ridiculous she acted. And it was so funny for her–too funny.

After cleaning the guest chambers, washing linens, and scrubbing floors today, she found her rest here, right after dinner, which was absolutely prohibited. If the Head Maid discovered this, she would be punished or worst, be locked in the stables or warehouse for a whole night. Slaves didn't have enough freedom, well, they didn't have any freedom at all. But she was someone who was breaking this absolute rule–secretly and discreetly.

And this sanctuary was the perfect place to hide and be free. No one ever guarded this rose garden and no one would even dare to come here–well, except for her.

The silvery moon above was full and beautiful, mesmerizing even. She envied it for being free. Maybe someday, she would be able to buy her own freedom and leave this place to start anew. Maybe someday, she would be able to earn money. But slaves in this kingdom, didn't have the right to earn any money. And all that she had in mind – these ridiculous thoughts – were just wishful thinking. She would probably die as a slave without redeeming her human rights at all.

After breathing fresh air and calming her nerves and senses and after finding strength from the beautiful scenery, she decided to return to her room–the maid's common quarters.

But when she turned around, she found the prince behind her, a few meters away, with a small smile curved on his lips.

"Hey. We meet again," he greeted lightly.

She blushed. She was caught again. Although she somewhat expected this. But she shouldn't be here. She was not allowed to be here. And she was kind of ashamed of her hardheadedness. She lowered her head and greeted him with respect. She suddenly realized she didn't know his name yet.

"Good evening, Your Royal Highness. Please forgive me for being here–again," she apologetically said.

The man chuckled, clearly dismissing her apology. "It's alright. You can visit this garden from time to time. I give you my consent."