Vol.1. Chapter 7.2 : A Game of Dodgeball

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's POV

It was now time for dodgeball. During my time at the White Room, I was taught a variety of athletics and sports, but dodgeball was not one of them. It was regarded as unnecessary, and because it was a team sport, I didn't have anyone with whom I could try it with.

As the sole survivor of my generation, I spent years alone and in seclusion. People may think I must've felt isolated and friendless but that was not the case. After all, being alone is not synonymous with feeling lonely. I didn't feel sad nor regretful that there was no one I could call an acquaintance in the vicinity I was raised in. I simply felt apathetic about such things.

"For those of you who are unfamiliar with how to play, I'll be explaining it to you right now. So listen carefully and no chit-chatting while I'm speaking. I don't like to repeat myself." Mashima-Sensei was adamant and stern.

The Game of Dodgeball

The Objective of the game

The main objective in dodgeball is to eliminate all members of the opposing team by throwing the ball at them. Players must dodge the ball to remain in the game and the team who manages to eliminate all of their opponent’s first are deemed the winners.

Scoring

While there is no real point scoring in dodgeball, the aim of the game is to eliminate players of the opposing team, which can be done in several ways. The most obvious way is hitting an opponent with a ball, if a player is hit and the ball is not caught before becoming dead, that player is eliminated. However, if a player throws a ball that is caught by an opponent, the throwing player is eliminated from the game.

A player will eliminate themselves if they run out of the court of play.

Winning the Game

The game is over when all of the players on one team are eliminated, resulting in the other team winning the game. If both teams still have members at the end of an allotted amount of time, the winning team will be the one with the most players. If this still results in a deadlock, overtime can be played.

Rules of Dodgeball

-The number of players, number of balls, size of the court, and length of the game can be determined by the organizers.

-Players must remain within the court at all times unless collecting dead balls.

-Players are allowed to leave the court to collect balls but they are not allowed to throw the ball until they are back within the court. If a player leaves the court for any other purpose or they throw a ball from outside the court, they are eliminated.

-Players struck with a ball that is then caught before it becomes dead are eliminated.

-When a player catches a ball, the throwing player will be eliminated.

So that's how you play dodgeball...

I'm quite sure I understand the goal and the regulations. Because my reflexes and reaction time are so much better than the ordinary human, I should be able to avoid being hit relatively well. I can also use my speed to my advantage to get a head start on the competition by grabbing the ball first before anyone else can.