twenty five.

─☼☼☼─

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙍𝙀𝙎𝙏 𝙊𝙁 Charlotte's day had felt off. 

Customers had been buzzing about something, and by eight o'clock, the restaurant was dead. She had sent all of the wait and kitchen staff home before texting Kiara again. She had texted her at least ten times, and had received no answer. 

The only answer she had received was right after she left the three of them earlier today. Kiara had told her that the gold was gone...the plane had taken off. That was the last she had heard from her sister. 

She figured that the four younger kids had gone to the Chateau to drown their sorrows, she just wished that at least one of them would text her and let her know that they were alright.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Charlotte re-pocketed her phone before finishing her closing duties. She was in the middle of ringing off when the door to The Wreck opened. 

"Sorry!" She called over her shoulder. "We're closed. Kitchen staff's gone home for the night."

"Lottie."

Turning, Charlotte came face-to-face with Rafe who was wearing a slightly worried expression. His hair was wet, as if he'd just gotten out of the shower, but even then, Charlotte could see how red his eyes were. He'd been upset about something. 

"Are you okay?" She questioned, setting down what she was doing before stepping out from around the bar. "Rafe, what's going on?"

"You've gotta come with me." He ordered, reaching over to grab her purse from behind the counter. "It's not safe for you to stay home alone tonight."

Charlotte stepped back, giving him a skeptical look. "How do you know I'm home alone?"

Rafe barely glanced at her as he began shutting off the lights around the restaurant. He had sat around while she closed numerous times over their four years together, he knew the routine almost as well as she did. "Your parents are at that conference, right?" He questioned. "They go every year."

She hated to admit it, but Charlotte's heart swelled slightly over the fact that he remembered. "Yeah." She answered, still not following what was happening. "But why won't I be safe home alone? I'm nineteen years old, Rafe, not twelve."

He finally stopped what he was doing and turned to look at her. "You've just gotta trust me, okay? You're safest with me right now. I'll explain in the car."

"No." Charlotte argued. "You'll explain right now."

If there was any chance Charlotte was going home with Rafe, she needed to know why. 

Running a hand through his wet hair, Rafe let out a shuddered sigh. When he turned to face her, Charlotte's heart pounded against her chest. Something was wrong. 

"Sheriff Peterkin is dead." Rafe's voice was pained as he said it, his face twitching with something that Charlotte couldn't decipher. "She was murdered."

"What?" The words were like air leaving Charlotte's mouth. Her whole body seemed to buzz in shock as her chest constricted. "W-who─who killed her?" She whispered, terrified to hear the answer.