The Call

Prologue Part 7

I gave into my rage I don't even feel human anymore. My dragon blood has taken over me completely. My dad told me that if someone were to lose control and tap fully into their dragon blood they become a beast and they can stay that way forever if they go too far. My dad said it's a punishment from the gods because our dragon's blood is far too strong for our human bodies to handle even if they are born of dragon blood. Ice Dragons are some of fiercest beast on Aroura Rain and they will protect themselves and their loved ones no matter what the cost. Like anyone else would if they cared enough about someone, if they wanted nothing more than to protect that person and allow the dragon blood to help them do it.

Seeing Nao in danger made something snap inside of me. I didn't know how to stop it and I didn't want to stop it either. Nao is only five and he doesn't have dragon blood to protect and heal him. It is my job to do that. It's my fault there are no Dragons or Snow Leopards in the village to protect it because they are all away looking for me.

All I see is before me is red. My hands, the snow, the men before me, all of it is red. I don't hear the roar of dragons anymore but I do hear some growls and people are still screaming. I don't feel the cold and I can't feel any pain. My blood feels like its boiling like hot water does when it's on the fire for too long. All I can smell is smoke and blood, which is strange because people can't smell blood.

I feel something heavy fall against me. I stagger a little and turn towards what hit me.

"What the fuck?"

"What the fuck are you."

"No stay away from me."

There is a loud roar and more screaming. I feel something hit me again and again. Whoever keeps hitting me doesn't stop until I hit the ground.

"There she's down, take her. She'll make a good slave."

"I'm not touching her you do it."

I start to get to my feet. Something hits me hard in the head and everything goes black. No sound, no smells, nothing just complete darkness.

I don't know where I am. I feel metal around me and hear crying. I open my eyes and look around me. I'm in a cage that is going really fast down a path. That doesn't make any since cages can't move on their own. I look around again and the cage is on a wagon that is being pulled by horses. The horses seem to be running at full speed. That is not a good idea ice is everywhere on the pathways especially those that have been shoveled and packed down. The snow hardens and creates a hard sheet of ice that can be walked on but one wrong move and the path can turn very dangerous.

I look to the back of the cage and see many people from my village by best friend Aria is cowering at the back of the cage. The cage I'm in isn't the only one either there are three more behind it. I hope Nao got away ok. All I remember is telling him to run. My body is starting to hurt a little bit. I should heal just fine in a few hours. I don't know who hit or what they hit me with but I'm going to make them regret it when I get out of here. I try to get a better look at where we are if we are going north I may be able to call the dragons from the nest. Maybe they will help us. I don't see why they shouldn't.

I take in a deep breath. My mouth is dry I won't be able to make the call as loud as I need to. But I have to try. I need to concentrate on my connection with the dragons and the dragon nest it felt like home. I just need to connect with it and then roar as loud as I can. I close my eyes and concentrate.

"Tessa don't they will beat you if you say anything."

"Shut up no one said you could speak."

I hear a whimper seconds later. I can feel it I can feel the other dragons. It feels like we are moving away from them. It's now or never. I take in a deep breath and let out a loud Dragon Call for help. It's louder than I expected it to be and it's strong enough to shake the cage. When the cage shook it set off a chain reaction the wagon shook as well and when is shook it slid on the ice. The wagon and cage slid off the path and pulled the horses with it. The cage is thrown several feet away from the path and the door burst open.