What Are You

Chapter One Part One

Ten Years Later

I'm in the kitchen assisting with cooking dinner. Hardly anyone talks not even the servants say much of anything. Ever since Lady Kiri died the house has mostly been quiet. Well there is one person who hasn't been quiet. Jillian, she fakes tears in front of the master of the house. However when it comes to the other concubines, servants and slaves she is ruthless. The Master has been heartbroken since she died.

I've been in this house for three years now and Lady Kiri was different from all of my other Master and Mistresses. She was a kind woman she didn't beat us over the smallest things in fact something like that wasn't allowed to be done to the servant or slaves. She released slave three times a year. She was a good woman and unlike the rest of Dragos she was kind and most of the time she preferred to do things herself and learn new things. She was murdered three days after she gave birth to the master's first son.

I know who did it to. It was Jillian I'm sure of it. I saw her in Lady Kiri's room before she became ill. She was also messing around in the kitchen after the food was going to be served. I thought it was strange because that woman never does anything for herself. When she poisoned Lady Kiri, Jillian had me beaten and locked in the cellar.

Ever since Jillian came into the house people started dying and getting beaten over the smallest things. At first it was done openly but then Lady Kiri put an end to it. She also made it very clear that she could have the Master remove her from the house permanently. When people started to go missing I told all the young children they needed to leave and hide somewhere. I knew that if they didn't they would likely get killed.

I left with them some of them were still slaves because they had collars on. I wasn't going to let that bitch kill them because she was a useless piece of trash herself. She has to make everyone miserable. I could have ran when we left the city but there were still others there who needed to be protected. I made sure they had everything they need before returned to the house. I sent several other slaves there to hide. Whenever Jillian starts on one of them I draw her attention by calling her what she is. It gives the other person time to get away. Once they leave they don't come back this includes slaves as well. I hope they are alright.

I chop potatoes while I wait for the water to boil. I hear something out in the dining room. I stop chopping and go see what it is. When I get there I see the second Concubine glaring at Jillian.

"I am teaching this little bitch a lesson she needs to learn her place in this house."

"You have been told that is not allowed here. I will enforce those rules no matter what. Your barbaric behavior isn't welcome or allowed here. If you continue I will inform the master and you will be sent away."

Those are the same words that got Lady Kiri killed. Does Petra have a death wish? She doesn't seem to be backing down even though Jillian has an evil smirk on her face. My attention is drawn to the person Jillian was beating. It's a child she can't be more than five my blood boils she is from Wintervale like me her skin is pale, not as pale as mine however I can feel her Ice Dragon blood. The girl looks completely terrified. I've never seen her before which means she is new to the house.

I walk over to her to see if she is alright. Her wound has iced over and she's hiding it the best she can. Her eyes are filled with terror but she she's less afraid when she looks at me.

"Who said you could leave the kitchen" Jillian yells.

I hear the snap of the whip. I raise my hand and catch it. It only stings for a moment. I stand up and glare at Jillian.

"Let go you little bitch."

She pulls on the whip. When I let go she falls backwards. I hear muffled snickers around the room.