Chapter Four | A Brave Idiot

         "Shouldn't we mind-link Xander to come over." Though it was a question, Gnashton said it as a statement.

A statement that made me speak before I could even think as I sat up quickly and blurted out, "no!"

The three boys look at me quizzically. Fuck. I couldn't have been more fucking obvious.

"Why not?" Xavier asks, brows furrowed. "He's your best friend. Imagine the look on his face when he sees you here."

I didn't want to imagine that. I sigh as I slouch back into the comfy cushions of the couch as I looked up at the ceiling and braced myself to tell them the news that they had been oblivious about for over three years. It was pointless to keep it a secret from them any longer and it would be better to tell them now rather than keep them in the dark. Plus, Xavier's dumbass would yap away that I was back to Xander...he'd probably do that regardless though but I'd hope that Aiden and Gnashton would help me to keep his mouth shut.

Eyes still trained on the ceiling, I finally say it.

"Xander is my mate."

It felt so weird to say it and it left the weirdest aftertaste on my tongue. I've never really said it aloud. Even when it came to Kaylee, I didn't tell her that he was my mate, she figured it out so I didn't have to tell her. So truthfully, this is the first time that I'm saying it and hearing myself say it made my stomach stir uncontrollably. Saying it made it feel so much more real and I...I hated it.

I clench my eyes shut for a moment and then I reopen them and finally witness the looks on all of my friends faces.

Yeah, I expected this.

Xavier's eyes are wide open with his mouth agape, he looked like a cartoon character to me. Despite the fact that Xavier looked like your typical 'bad boy' he is truly nothing but a doof. The tattoos, muscles, six foot five frame, earrings perched gingerly in both ears, and nose stud on his right nostril counteracted heavily with his actual personality.

Aiden was equally shocked but his eyes were the only thing that gave that away. Aiden is much less like Xavier and much more...mischievous and has a variety of sides to him that were like a kid picking candy from a candy store except for the fact that some of the candy was either expired or downright rotten. He's the type that looks like how he acts which is what set him apart from Xavier who is indeed, a clown.

Then there's Gnashton who's fairly surprised but not overwhelmingly so. Surprised enough to where you see the seemingly minuscule raise of his right brow but his expression still remained stoic. He's the kind of guy that you don't really want to be friends with because he's not a friendly person and you'd have to dig until you broke your arms to find even the smallest shred of compassion and warmth from him — again, Niklaus only had the luxury to experience that with him.

Cold and emotionless, Gnashton didn't have a lot of people around him but people would stare at him from afar. Somehow, I was able to get along with him as he wasn't as bad as he appeared. He was rough around the edges but expressed himself more when he was around Xavier, Aiden, Xander and I.

They looked like they didn't know what to say and so I expected to wait it out but Aiden was the first to speak.

"You guys are mates?!"Aiden says dumbfounded. "I just...woah, what the fuck."